• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with an address.

W

Wendy

I have just been sent a copy of a letter written by my grandfathers sister to her son in Canada in 1936.
Emilia Bratt nee Jennings born Aston in 1865. In 1936 she is living at 59 Leyland Road Southport Lancashire. The photo of the house looks very large and made me wonder if it was a nursing home for the elderly. The only other mystery is she often mentions the kindness of someone named Lucy. I have checked and she is not a daughter or granddaughter so she may be a companion come carer. Any suggestions on how I could research this further would be great thank you.:)

Wow thanks Mike I tried to find it but obviously i am not very good at Google earth. It's a beautiful house I will try the phone directories I might get a clue there.

wendy it looks as if the house is for sale. if you google houses for sale Leyland rd Southport you should be able to find out who the agents are, and they may have some history of the house.

Bob I have tried your suggestion I must be a bit thick today as I can't find no 59 for sale have you got the link. I will try later off to work now:sweat:.......urghhhhhh

Can anyone help with the site for old telephone numbers I can't remember it:).

Wendy, the images on GE could be up to two years old, so doubt if it would still be for sale now.
On your photo there's a sign fitted on the wall, I've tried to read it, "blown up" but still cannot read it.

Colin

Oh dear, what a shame. Just got back from Southport yesterday (visiting our son), and I'm sure I saw a Leyland Road! I could have taken photos and maybe got details Wendy.
Bad timing!

Thanks everyone for your help Charlie that's typical of me missed the bus again.....lol

Mike I thought the same thing it does seem large. Her husband was indeed a professor of music and had a lot to do with the Church at Llandudno. The letter had the address at the top but it didn't mention 'care of'. There may have been finance problems as she mentions the bank suggesting she gets a mortgage. But I couldn't understand this if she is in a nursing home. Oh well the plot thickens.

Hi Wendy

I see Emilia Bratt died 1948 aged 83 in Conway, Caernarvonshire? and what looks like her husband's death in 1925 also in Conway.
Perhaps she was staying with a friend at the time of the letter in 1936?

Suzanne

I have just had a reply to a query I sent to my cousin in Canada.
She tells me on the back of the black and white photo it says. Dear Bert, Lucy took a snap of me just comming down the drive on my way to church. It's dated Dec 10th 1936 Address 24, Queens Road, Southport. Now I am confused.
The person named Lucy may be the link but the house in the photo looks the same as the one in Leyland Drive. I wonder if it was on a corner and the address changed. Colin mentioned the road name on the house and it looks like Queens Road. Emilia is buried with her husband at the little white church on the Great Orm, Llandudno. I think I need to send for a death cert.

Wendy, I'm not going to tell you that the Hotel we stayed in was in Queens Road, it would only upset you :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness Mike that does look more like the house in the photo. I now wonder if they were both nursing homes and she moved from one to another. I now wonder if I will ever get to the bottom of this mystery. I have just received a copy of her granddaughters birth which states her daughter Estelle and son in law George Edwards were hoteliers at The Manor North Parade Llandudno. The Hotel is still there and a substantial building which I presume they owned. This date was 1929 which I think was a difficult time in the UK a depression I think they called it.

Charlie can you give me your itinerary the next time you go away......lol

What a fabulous photo - I hope you can find more information about the house - it does seem a bit of a mystery about the 2 addresses. If her husband was a professor of music I would have thought they could have afforded to live in a house that size.
What a shame Charlie was there earlier!
I hope someone can help you with this - it is so interesting!
Polly :)

She tells me on the back of the black and white photo it says. Dear Bert, Lucy took a snap of me just comming down the drive on my way to church. It's dated Dec 10th 1936 Address 24, Queens Road, Southport

Can someone do a census search on this other addresss?
Polly

In 1911 there was 70yr old Elizabeth A Thompson, Widow, Living on Own Means and three servants at 24 Queens Rd, Southport.

bren

Thanks for all the help with this address. I think I will send for a death cert that should give the info I need. What a helpful lot you are xx.

Back