• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help needed please,

WL_O742_in_daylight.JPG

Nipped into WL briefly today to takew a pic in daylight!

thank you brian the photos are lovely, you are so kind were going to go early tomorrow, then were going in to birmingham to get a birth certificate so we will then know renees birthday bless her ,

will do, thank you for all your help and support, our next task is to find valentine floyd born 1914 died 1916 age 2 he was my dads brother,and my dads sister gladys turrell who died age 22,,,,,, x

I was at the Registry yesterday registering my Mother in Laws death (finally - waiting for Coroner to say OK).
You can no longer turn up an wait patiently in a queue. You have to book an appointment, arrive early as we do, wait for the those who arrive 15 mins late just to hold you up, before you can be done!
Whilst waiting, I popped downstairs for a Birth Cert for my tree. Again, you can no longer wait - or if you do - it is £5 for same day service!
I let them post it to me in 2 days free of charge!

Good luck on your searches..

my sister did phone today, were going to pay the £5 as we really want to know renees birthday, we are going to get there early, then go to cematery, thank you brian for all your help, it been really good of you ,with all you have had to deal with, sorry to hear about your mother in law, my thoughts are with you and your family as you seem a real nice person, thank you again, x

sorry to keep troubleing you brian but do you know if there would of been any headstone on grave 742 and how many persons may be there ???

Pam,

Always a pleasure to help - Thats why we are Friends - help us by visiting regularly, tidy up as you go, plant lots of bulbs - daffoldils, tulips, snowdrops, etc
Look at our facebook and post nice pics!

And you never know - we may share a relative - there can't be too many Floyd's in Brum!

HI pam,

The only we have is to go through all 105,985 counting how many are in O 742
I have
1904 - 188
1920 - 52
1951 - 20
1952- 237
1953 - 18

Total 515 ! They won't be lonely!

hi brian, do you mean there are 515 persons in 0 742 ?? or am i haveing a blonde moment, we went to the registry office yesterday and got renees birth and death cert, her birthday is 20th september 1952 bless her she only lived for 8 hrs, but now we know ,were going to plant lots of bulbs ,and visit often, we have got you and all the other people on the forum to thank for our find,

Hi Pam,

Many pages of the Burial Register for warstone Lane have only 4 or 5 entries with grave numbers, and often 25 with no grave number listed!
However, of those that are listed, the above numbers are accurate - counted them all myself!
The graves are very deep - look over the wall behind at the mint and see how far it is. The Publics in key Hill are 40ft deep and each memorial sits at the junction of four garves totalling 220 (average).
It was obviously topped up in 1920 once they originals had settled down.
Byu the tiome the council took over, much more settlement would have occurred, and the Council reopened many and 'topped them up' again. But remember that the 1951-3 burials are almost all still born or very youg children with coffins not much bigger tha shoe boxes. You would get half a dozen or more nippers in the space usually taken up by 1 adult. Some of the Flat stones around the edge of the catacombs are Vaults dating from 1918-1920 - I kinow of one of the that has almost 4oo such children placed in it in the mid 1950's.

Must be a big creche - plenty of company for each other - just what children need - and remember - they all had a christian burial with a Vicar performing the service.

We hope to clear some more of the area this winter - Lots of nice daffodils and tulips would be a lovely lasting memorial.
Brian

So there are 515 people in 0 742 and Pamela is not having a blonde moment. The grave was used over a lot of years wasn't it.

thank you again brian, we was hopeing when we found out were renee was she would have her own little grave, i lost a grandaughter 2 years ago she was only 10 days old, lola as a lovely little grave in witton, my sister and i will make the spot were renee is as nice for her sake and all the other little ones that are also there wish we had of know long ago, we have you and the other to thank for clearing the spot it would of been heartbreaking to go and not be able to see the spot, pam x

I used to be puzzled why key Hill had 60,044 interments, and although very similar in size, Warstone lane had 105,985 !
And than I was asked to find a nd photograpgh a grave of 1950's still death.
The Burial registers for those years are page after page of reopened Public Graves and catacombs.
The Council milked the cemetery for every penny it could before throwing the keys away and forgetting it!

thank you for all your information on warston lane, we have had a wooden cross made for renee,were going on friday as we have a lift, were going to rake all the leaves up, shall we take them away or just put them in a pile?? were going then to sort out about planting the bulbs, hope this is ok with every one, pam x

Cheers Pam,

Look forward to seeing it on Saturday

It is supposed to be a Cemetery clean up on saturday, unsure which Cemetery is planned to be worked on - may well be WL.
Either rake the are uphill towards the big compost area, or bag it and it can be taken up later - when we hopefully will soon have a few small bonfires to get rid of it .p

It's always OK to be planting!

Brianermanently.

Pamela , I am so very glad that you found out Renees resting place and are able to leave your own tributes. Alberta.

thank you alberta, but we would not of found it with out the help of all you wonderful people on the forum, every one as been great, pam x

Back