• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help in general

M

MichelleH

Hello, This is my first time so please dont be mad if I get it wrong.

My queries are what information is on the parish records? I have 2 marriages certificates and am wondering what is also held on the records.

Can anyone help my find as to where I would start looking to find the burial graves are to my great grandparents as I also only have the death certs
Any help would be very grateful

Thanks
Michelle

Hiya Michelle and welcome to the forum..can you give us some names and dates please ..i am sure someone will be able to help

Hello, thanks for replying the marriage details I have are: George Downes and Elizabeth Caswell 1894
Their daughter's marriage Nellie E Downes and Charles E H Floyd 1928

And the graves I'm trying to find are of George Downes died 17 sept 1926
Elizabeth Downes died 7 oct 1941 both residing at 3 back of 35 Barker st. birmingham

Do you need anything else?

Thanks
Michelle

Hiya Michelle ..i am sure someone on the forum will be able to help on this ..have you contacted Handsworth Cemetery about the graves..I have tried searching the Birmingham .org website but the link is broken

Last edited:
this is your family in 1911 living 3 back 35 barker st. birmingham

george downes 48 worker on railway b. bromsgrove worc.
elizabeth 46 b. bham
george edward 13 b.bham
nellie 7 b.bham

forgot to add that they had had 5 children but 2 had died

Last edited:
Hi

Yes, that is them, I have most info. Nellie is my granny she died in 1941.
I cant find the marriage of George Edward but know he died in 1937 I've been looking for months for his marriage, I have a few marriage certs but theyre showing not him. so im stuck on that one. I only know he lived in Francis st. 1937

Yes there was another 2 children Albert Thomas died ages 7mths and the other was Annie she was living with her aunt in 1911 (Eliza Corfileld).
Annie lived until 1988. she outlived the lot!!

in 1935 on the electoral rolls there is just a florence downes listed at 4 court 12 francis street.

I dont believe that, I've been looking for months, that is the correct address as its on his death cert, and it gives his widow as F Downes. could you find the marriage, (sorry to be extra cheeky).

I'm amazed.
Thanks

could it be this one

george e downes to florence bates 1925 apr-jun birmingham north west mids 6d 693

Again, I have that one too, I just cant find it. I dont know what happened to his wife so I dont know if there were any children of that marriage.

i looked on the electoral rolls for 1935 downes and francis street.

there are quite a few george and florence downes arent there, but i cant find anything definite at all and cant find the marriage. its strange that florence was on her own at that address in 1935 (which is probably info from 1934).

Florence was a widow by 1934. I also cant find a marriage.

I have a family showing in the 1911 census as married for12yr aprx. Yet hubby died in 1931 and wife died in 1945.
She had a second marriage in 1928, I was a little confused, so I got the certs and it shows on her second marriage she's a spinster. On her childrens birth cert is showing her maiden and married name (first marriage) Am I to assume she was not originally married!!

Are the electoral rolls free to look at?
Thanks
Michelle

you had told me that george downes died in 1937 not 1934 thats why i was puzzled!

your family with the confusion over marriages, i would say that she was married and the spinster was a mistake, especially as her maiden name and previous married name is on the childrens certs.

the electoral rolls are free to look at at the bham library but to see them on line you have to pay credits or a subscription to midlands historical data website.

sorry miss put it first time it was 1934 he was ages 37. sorry

sorry miss put it first time it was 1934 he was ages 37. sorry

no worries - just couldnt understand why she was on her own :)

theres a george and florence downes living at 1 back 14 rosebery st. in 1930 but i cant be sure it is them. there were also other people living there, albert, clara and lily bach and emily calder. (just in case the names ring a bell with you)

Hi,

I just want to thank you all for the help you gave me the other day, THANK YOU. I went back to my records and I discovered that the George Edward Downes I was searching for was infarct the wrong one. I went on the Midland Historical Data site and got the dates and realised they did not match. And the death cert I had was for another chap with the same name. So I'm now presuming he died earlier, as I cant find him after the 1911 census, maybe he died in service?

As for the graves I'm looking for, I have also discovered that the house in Barker St. did not come under Handsworth as I thought, but Ladywood, I had a birth and death cert come this morning with the same barker st. address and one said district of Ladywood and the other said dis of Yardley, and I know that person is buried in Witton Cemetery, so I will start there.

So all your help you gave me has got me far, ok apart from George, back to the beginning!
So thanks,
Michelle

Is Barker Street Aston or Lozells or am I nowhere near? I would suggest you try Witton first of all, it was the first municipal cemetery, and the largest. they may take a little time to come back to you, but they will reply to your email.

Shortie

Hi,

Barker Street is neither, I thought it was Lozells, as thats where its is.
As I received a couple of certs this weekends is shows that it iis under Ladywood. So my call will be to witton cemetary.
Thank you.
Michelle.

Marriages Sep 1919
Downes George W [Aslett] Catherington 2c 491

Marriages Sep 1926
Downes George [Strong] Edmonton 3a 1845

Marriages Sep 1928
Downes George F [Binns] Tamworth 6b 1009

Seem to be the only other possibilities according to FreeBMD - it is quite likely the groom travelled to the bride's family location to get married

[SIZE=+1]Just a thought... Could this be them with the F being mis transcribed for an E[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Marriages Sep 1928 [/SIZE]
Binns Florence J Downes Tamworth Vol 6b Page 1009
Downes George F Binns Tamworth Vol 6b Page 1009

Hi,

I will look into these marriages. and get back to you.
Thanks for helping.
Michelle x

Back