• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hartfield Crescent Ninestiles School

i think it is in acocks green looking for anyone who went there maybe from 1940's to 1960's does anyone remember john tustin or elsie barnett?

kmt

Last edited:
I think you will find its Hartfield Crescent, off Fox Hollies Rd. ;)

My mum went there. Would have been about 65-70.

Edit. See also Harrison Barrow Girls Grammar School.

I went there from '67 to '71. I think Harris & Barrow, the other half of the school for girls, finished in '68/9. I had two sisters and a brother that preceded me, which is why i had some unwanted attention from a few of the teachers there.... I left in 1971 aged 15,... Just as they raised the leaving age.
I belonged to Baskerville house which was blue... My form (4V) teacher being Mr Bowles the English teacher.... Was Gaskell the headmaster? McEwan the math teacher & train enthusiast comes to mind... Miss Threlkeld too... mmmmmm!!!! Tasty! Mr Hunt, the deputy head... Mrs Summers (water wings), the girls PE teacher.... Mr Jacks(on?) the boys PE teacher...

Memories are a bit faded i'm afraid. Secondary school wasn't my favourite time, sadly :(

Will have a think on it. :)

BiLL

Have a look on the web site Friends Reunited.co.uk. Both schools are on there Hartfield Crescent and Harrison Barrow. For Hartfield put just the word Hartfield in the search then you will find it. Harrison Barrow has a much bigger site. If you are looking for info on teachers
hit the "Message Board" area on the top menu. There are lots of photos on both sites and many ex-pupils too.

Albion,you obviously started as i left ,teachers i remember were Mr Quiney woodwork,Mr Richmond metalwork,Mr Summers P.E.,Mr Cook Headmmaster,Mr Sanders library/5th year,Mrs Wood my last form teacher.I was in Arden,best mates with David Ellgood,Allen Taylor,Graham Higgins,George Reeves[Jasper],Kerry Morgan,Gordon Hopkins,My favourite teacher was Mr Grindley a kind man who as far as i can remember never raised his voice or caned anyone unlike 1 or2 of the others who if they didn't cane you or give you detention once a week you would think you may have upset them.

I can remember going to dances there just before I got married in 1954, there w as two halls, with a live band in each one, if you didnt want a samba, you walked thru into
the other hall for a quickstep, I think it was half a crown to get in, tea, coffee or soft drinks, no beer. O Happy Days seems so long ago now. Bernard

Bernard,little bit early for me 1954 but i still remember the two halls one was the main assembley hall the other also used for assembley but mainly for P.E. till they built the gym in the 60s.

Not a school I ever attended, but my wife's whole school live was spent there. 49 to 59 I believe. I heard very good things about the school when Dexter Hutt was in charge. But I believe it has slid back to it's old ways since he left.

Phil

AcocksGreenCouncilSchoolHartfieldCrescentNinestiles-1.jpg

My mom went there, she used to live on Olton Boulevard, but moved to Sutton and used to get 2 buses there every day, would have been 1949 I think will ask her later and re-post.
Sue

Hartfield Crescent School hasn't changed an iota since this photo was taken, well leastwise not at the front, they have now added a leisure centre and swimming pool at the rear. My wife attended there from 1949 to 1959
Phil

AcocksGreenCouncilSchoolHartfieldCrescentNinestiles.jpg

Phil, what was your wifes maiden name? My mom went there from 1949 to 1954, her name was Ann Marston - it was a grammar school then, mom had to pass her 11 plus to go.
Sue

When I went to Harrison Barrow Girls' Grammar School from 1962 - 9 the building was divided into two with the grammar school at the left hand side as you look at the photo posted. The schools were combined into a Comprehensive in the early 70s, my sister completed her 6th form at the Comprehensive not the grammar school.
Lesley

Mom says the school was split as you said Lesley, but it was a boys school in the other part and they were never allowed to meet! Moms friends at school wer Barbara Davies and Ann Jones.
Sue

Back