• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry Harvey or Robert (Bob Harvey)

Sam65

proper brummie kid
My granddad Harry Harvey or my uncle Bob Harvey so legend has it was a school inspector for truants year ago with the educational department.
He used to go around on his cycle rounding up truants. He was a kind man and gave the barefooted children shoes although he was feared by the children too in case they had to go to school.
Does anyone have any information on these two gentlemen.
Harry Harvey is in the photo and my Nan is next to him. Her name is Polly/ Mary. They had 2 children Frank and Bob.

thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Harry is listed as a school attendance officer on the 1939 register, Robert as a junior clerk. Both at 83 Tintern Road with Polly.

Thank you so much for your replies. Harry had died before I was born and the photo is all I had of Nan and granddad. I will look at Tintern Road, I didn't know where they lived so I’m so pleased also to know about grandad and uncle school attendance work.
Years ago I new someone who remembers Harry as a school boy and he’d come round the corner on his bike to surprise the many truants. I wonder what area of Birmingham he worked in.

Back