• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harrison - Butchers and Slaughterhouse Yardley

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
There was a butchers and slaughterhouse next to the Church in Yardley. Run by Harrison family pre 1950's . Trying to find out the family names if it is possible.

Thanks

Terry

1891 father William (1831)and wife Clara (1840)with sons William,Henry,Stephen (14) and Frank, and daughters Martha (18),Phoebe and Maria,at Butchers Shop Church Rd Yardley.
In 1901 at Church Rd, Yardley, William Harrison(30) was head of the family,with brothers Henry (28) and Frank (20) all butchers and sisters Phoebe (25) and Maria (22)
In 1901 Stephen and brother Frank (obviously in 2 places at the same time!) at 3 Coventry Rd,Yardley,running a butcher's shop.
10 years later,Frank Harrison (30,single),butcher, sister Phoebe (35,married)with daughters Kate 8 and Alice 7 were Church Rd Yardley.
Possible marriage?
Marriages Jun 1858
Clara Fullford Chambers Kings Norton 6c 568
William Harrison Kings Norton 6c 568
In 1851,this Clara Chambers was visiting an M Fullford in Cherry Lane,Little Bromwich,Aston.
The father of William born 1831, was also a William (born 1803 Kenilworth) and his mother was Maria (born 1799 Yardley)
In 1851 they are at The Village,Yardley.
1841 at The Causeway,Yardley.
They were all butchers!

Ladylinda and Colin

thanks for your quick replies.
My main interest uis trying to find info regarding brothers James, benjamin and Richard Harrison, butchers in Aston around 1895 early 1900's. I thought maybe the Yardley butchers may have been connected.

cheers

Terry

I am searching for information on William Harrison (born 1803 Kenilworth) and Maria Waldron (1799). I have been trying to go further back from them and have been stuck. In addition, any pictures of Yardley with the butcher on Church Road in Yardley would be appreciated. Lastly, it is my understanding that there had been museum display with the Harrison Butcher items after fieldwork had been done in 1976 and 1977. I would love to be able to see any of the display, I only have drawings and a list of what was there. Thank you in advance for any guidance!

There is a baptism for a Maria Waldron 14 Oct 1798 at St Edburgha, Yardley. Daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth.

There is also a marriage for a Thomas Waldron and an Elizabeth Turner at St Edburgha 7 Feb 1775, which may be a little early though not impossible if Maria was their youngest. They appear to have other children before her.

Last edited:
There is a baptism for a William Harrison 25 May 1795 at Kenilworth. Possibly a little too early but ages can be a bit and miss on early censuses especially.

If you are looking for old photographs of Yardley. Go to the Acocks Green History Society web site. Scroll down to the bottom: Images of Old Yardley.

1891 father William (1831)and wife Clara (1840)with sons William,Henry,Stephen (14) and Frank, and daughters Martha (18),Phoebe and Maria,at Butchers Shop Church Rd Yardley.
In 1901 at Church Rd, Yardley, William Harrison(30) was head of the family,with brothers Henry (28) and Frank (20) all butchers and sisters Phoebe (25) and Maria (22)
In 1901 Stephen and brother Frank (obviously in 2 places at the same time!) at 3 Coventry Rd,Yardley,running a butcher's shop.
10 years later,Frank Harrison (30,single),butcher, sister Phoebe (35,married)with daughters Kate 8 and Alice 7 were Church Rd Yardley.
Possible marriage?
Marriages Jun 1858
Clara Fullford Chambers Kings Norton 6c 568
William Harrison Kings Norton 6c 568
In 1851,this Clara Chambers was visiting an M Fullford in Cherry Lane,Little Bromwich,Aston.
The father of William born 1831, was also a William (born 1803 Kenilworth) and his mother was Maria (born 1799 Yardley)
In 1851 they are at The Village,Yardley.
1841 at The Causeway,Yardley.
They were all butchers!

There are at least 4 more direct generations of William (born 1803 Kenilworth) in the United States that were also butchers!

I am searching for information on William Harrison (born 1803 Kenilworth) and Maria Waldron (1799). I have been trying to go further back from them and have been stuck. In addition, any pictures of Yardley with the butcher on Church Road in Yardley would be appreciated. Lastly, it is my understanding that there had been museum display with the Harrison Butcher items after fieldwork had been done in 1976 and 1977. I would love to be able to see any of the display, I only have drawings and a list of what was there. Thank you in advance for any guidance!
I am interested in what was displayed and the background to the items that were collected. Would you be able to say a bit more?

Back