• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harrison Barrow Grammar School Hartfield Crescent County School

earlgary

master brummie
Can anyone tell me what happend to the above school situated in Hartfield Crescent. I went to that school in the 1950's but have never come across anyone else who attended. I remember a few of the names Pat Allen and Ann Sawyer come to mind.

Thanks Lloyd I found the information very interesting I often wondered what had happened to the old school it seems it has had a very up and down history. I would love to hear from anyone who attended in the 1950's.

I went to Harrison Barrow School from 1951 to 1955. Anyone else attend or was I the only one!!!!!

I am a Harrison Barrow Girls Grammar School old girl (left in 1970). 'Harry Bucket' merged with Hartfield Crescent Secondary Modern in 1971 to become Hartfield Comprehensive. It then became Ninestiles after a makeover. HB's dining room is now under Fox Hollies Leisure Centre.
The school badge was a hart (obviously) and the motto was non sibi sed omnibus (or something like that). Colours were claret and blue. my school scarf looked like a villa scarf: really dreadful for me not only to be a grammar grub, but to also live in Blue Nose heartland of Small Heath!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lloyd I found the information very interesting I often wondered what had happened to the old school it seems it has had a very up and down history. I would love to hear from anyone who attended in the 1950's.

I believe the infamous 'Mandy Rice-Davies' - friend of 'Christine Keeler' went to Harrison Barrow in the late fifties/early sixties.

Last edited:
Yes I went to Harrison Barrow, 1958 to 1965. Florence McNeill was head my first year then new head Letitia Louisa Lewenz took over. There's a name to remember. Quite a few HB past pupils on Friends Reunited.

This took me back ~ I remember walking across the field in rain hail or snow to get to the dining hall over Shirley Road side. Also remember the old air raid shelters that were covered over with grass and good for leaning on when sunbathing on the odd sunny day. We were told they were full of rats and dirty water!!!

No, you weren´t the only one. I went there from 1956 to 1962. (Harrison Barrow that is)
Remember Mrs MacNeill??

Harrison Barrow Girls Grammar School - photo of 1958
Harrison Barrow Girls Grammar School 01.jpgHarrison Barrow Girls Grammar School 02.jpgHarrison Barrow Girls Grammar School 03.jpgHarrison Barrow Girls Grammar School 04.jpg

and a sample of 'Summer Uniform' material - non sibi sed omnibus
Harrison Barrow Girls Grammar School 06.jpg

I´m on that photo somewhere. In fact I used to have a copy of it. I started at HB in September 1956. Remember the summer uniform well. By the time I got into the 6th form, we could have shirtwaisters in beige or pale blue. Only snag was, we had to make them ourselves.
Haute couture they were not!!!!

I went to Harrison Barrow Grammar School, but I have no idea who Harrison Barrow was, there doesn't appear to be any information about him. Can anyone tell me anything about him? I believe he was a city councillor but surely he must have done more than that to get a school named after him.

In my posting about bridges over the River Cole, it says he was the Mayor-elect in 1914.

Maurice

Hartfield Crescent County Modern Girls School changed to a grammar school in 1945. In 1952 it changed it's name to the Harrison Barrow Grammar School, it closed in 1971.

Harrison Barrow was a relation of The Sturge's and the Cadbury's and was Mayor elect in 1914 but because of his Quaker & pacifist convictions resigned from the Council because of the forthcoming war I think he later went to prison because of his convictions.

In 1849 Richard Cadbury Barrow (Harrison Barrow's father) took over the tea and coffee warehouse in Bull Street from John Cadbury. Originally Richard Cadbury had set up a draper’s shop in 1794, but the Cadburys opened a new shop next door and started selling tea, coffee and cocoa in 1824. Corporation Street did not exist, it was built during the redevelopment of central Birmingham as part of the Improvement Scheme of the 1870s, breaking through Bull Street midway. From then on Barrows was on the corner of Corporation Street and Bull Street.
Harrison Barrow was born in 1868, and took over Barrow's Stores presumably on the death of his father in 1894. R.C. Barrow was also an Alderman of the city. Harrison Barrow died in 1953.

Thank you all for your help, there isn't anything on line about him(not that I could find). It still seems strange that a school was named after him when he doesn't appear to have done anything special.

I would think that his position on the council plus being a leading shopkeeper with stores across the city was reason enough - and we don't know (yet) of what he did on the council, possibly connected with education. The naming seems to have been around the time of his death, particularly if the school renaming was 1953 instead of 1952.

Funny. Although I went to school there, I never connected the name Barrow with the Barrows stores which were a favourite haunt of my mother & grandmother on their shopping expeditions into "town".

Back