• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Park Victoria Park Handsworth

Hi Oldbrit. Have tried various searches and can't find any more cycling results at the park. If you have a subscription to the archives you could do a more thorough search of the Sports Argus. But like I say, I couldn't turn up anything else with my search. Viv.

Hi Oldbrit. Have tried various searches and can't find any more cycling results at the park. If you have a subscription to the archives you could do a more thorough search of the Sports Argus. But like I say, I couldn't turn up anything else with my search. Viv.
Thank's for trying, I raced my bike a lot there the 1950s

The late Keith Berry took some photos in Handsworth Park
In 1979 he took a photo of the boat house and it looks like his cycle against the fence.
5HPboathouse1979.jpg
Twenty-six years later he took another photo and commented about it see quote.
4HPboathouse2005.jpg
Twenty-six years on and Spring 2005 sees Handsworth Park lake and boathouse surrounded by security fencing. The lake is being drained and the boathouse appears to be undergoing an uglification (or facelift if you have no regard for the past). It was looking like a brick bungalow the last time I saw it.
His photos are in a forum archive here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/keith-berrys-photo-legacy.46064/

love the snow pic two....can also see st marys church hamstead road and can just about make out the houses through the trees

lyn

Keith Berry took this photo of some snow-covered canoes in the park. It reminds me of when I was at Handsworth Tech and we often went to the park and on the canoes during dinner breaks. They could easily overturn and inevitably one lad fell in (luckily he could swim) but he got severely reprimanded on return to school. Much to everyone's amusement he sat in afternoon classes in his gym kit while his clothes dried.
6FFsnowcanoes2.jpg

working for the parks dept. i had to collect 150 school desks.and bring them for the bonefire to get rid of. i asked every one i knew if they wanted one.the rest was burned. complete with years of chewing gum.so sad. l loved sitting by the lake eating my chomp

Last edited:
Noting the holes for the ink wells in those desks makes me wonder if any BHF Member was lumbered with the job of ink monitor? If so, I guess you remember it well. :D
The other monitor was the milk one.

The building in this picture is the boat house at the end of the big lake just inside from the Hampstead Road entrance. The lake froze over in 1946 and there was a lot of skating. Paul.
[/QUOTE

The photo of Holly Road entrance to the park brought back happy memories, as that was the entrance that me and my friends used a lot. We'd walk from Soho Avenue, across to Rosehill Road, down the Cricks to Holly Road. Quite often we'd stop for a glass of pop at the Hollygate Café, which was opposite the entrance back in the 50s.

Back