• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mary's Handsworth Look Ups

loisand

master brummie
I am looking for Elizabeth Ann Bartle born 1837 and died 1889, all we know is that she is interred at Handsworth Old Church, can anyone shed any light on the church and how I would find more info about this person....thankyou in advance :)

Hi Everyone

I will be visiting Brum library on Thursday and have a few rellies to look up at the church. Firstly, am sure I have seen on here that there are memorial inscriptions for this church located at the archives? If so, and anyone would like me to do a look up for them, please let me know! I would need as much info as poss as am a bit of a newby re archives.

:)

Kaz

Ps. hope i have posted in the right place

Does anyone have records for St Mary's please?

Marriage of Thomas Lorton (Lawton) to Jane Greaves, 2 December 1833.
Am hoping for parent info and/or addresses.......

I think these are only available at Central Library, but maybe if someone is going they will look it up for you.:)

1833 is too early for there to be any info regarding the fathers names & occupations...there will not even be the occupation of the groom listed. The certs that will supply that info did not come into use until 1837.

Margaret.

Can anyone help with my ancestor Rosanna Westwood
We think she married David Cole at St Martin's in 1830 and that there may have been a second marriage in 1837 at St Mary's to James Morris - not sure if she would have called herself Rosanna Westwood or Rosanna Cole

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you to those who have already replied to my post re St Martins

The IGI shows a marriage beyween James Morris and Roseanna Cole at St.Mary's church, Handsworth on the 21 March 1837.
Unfortunately this would have been just before the marriage certificates carried information as to whom the Fathers' would be, occupations, and addresses. However it may well indicate if the bride was a widow. I'll have a look at the certificate copy next time that i am at the Library.

Regards

Steve

Hi there. I managed to view the copy of the marriage cert at long last. James Morris, bachelor, of this parish married Roseanna Cole, Widow, of this parish on the 21/3/1837 at Handsworth (St. Mary's) parish church. Both James and Roseanna made their mark on the register as did the witnesses Benjamin Coton and Catharine Westwood.

If you IM me your e-mail address i'll send to you a copy of the certificate.

Regards

Steve

Does anyone have access to the registers of St Mary's Handsworth so that they could give me full details of the marriage entry referred to above please?

I believe they are my great great grandparents.

Thanks in anticipation.

If this is still outstanding, I will look for it when I go to the library (probably not until the New Year now though - sorry!)

I wonder if anyone could possibly check the following record for additional information?

Thomas Clarke to Ann Reynolds, 16/2/1812 St Mary’s, Handsworth.

Clarkie

I go to the Birmingham Reference Library fairly often. However, i won't be going this week (Cheltenham Races) but more than likely will go next week. I'll have a look for you. Be warned though, that the information that appears on pre 1837 certificates normally give the bride and groom, bachelor, spinster, widow or widower and witnesses and not much else.

Regards

Steve

Hi Clarkie
Thos Clarke of this Parish and Ann Reynolds of this Parish
Married by Banns
Witnesses are - William Cresswell and Ann Cresswell

Hope this helps
Brummagen_lass

Hello looking for the marriage of James Spratt and Ann Bradley in about 1805, hope someone can help, thank you in advance. Rob

10th September 1804
James Spratt of this parish and Ann Bradley of this parish
Married by Banns
Witnesses are - Thomas Upton and Ann Bradley

Hope this helps
Kind Regards
Brummagen_lass

Back