• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

Christine Trotter and Ronnie Pierce ring a bell. The Lutwyches were Julie, Sonya, Sheree and Kenny. My mother shopped at Rudhalls and another shop at the end of the street; for a big shop she went up the Lozells Rd or Summer Lane. My cousins who lived next door to us (David and Mark Burke) went to Burbury St also. I went to King Edwards Rose Hill, just up from Handsworth Grammar. I too have forgotten many people; our life revolved around our particular back to back terrace, which we shared with Mrs Owen, the Morrises and the Dockers. I don't know if you have visited the area at all; it is totally changed with all the old buildings gone. My grandmother Elsie Knowles lived at 2/37 and she cleaned at the law courts.
Christine Trotter and Ronnie Pierce ring a bell. The Lutwyches were Julie, Sonya, Sheree and Kenny. My mother shopped at Rudhalls and another shop at the end of the street; for a big shop she went up the Lozells Rd or Summer Lane. My cousins who lived next door to us (David and Mark Burke) went to Burbury St also. I went to King Edwards Rose Hill, just up from Handsworth Grammar. I too have forgotten many people; our life revolved around our particular back to back terrace, which we shared with Mrs Owen, the Morrises and the Dockers. I don't know if you have visited the area at all; it is totally changed with all the old buildings gone. My grandmother Elsie Knowles lived at 2/37 and she cleaned at the law courts.
Hi Gina, Kenny Lutwyches is married to Sue, was friends of my late mother lives in Tamworth. Kenny is not in the best of health.

last for now.. maurice photo 4 say nos 2 to 10 so according to that your no 12 is just out of shot...or is it...depends on if the shops add was actually in guildford or farm st...maybe mikejee can help to confirm it if he spots this post

View attachment 112784

This photo is one of those "Oh Wow" photos for me. That's where me and my friends used to hang out in 1960-61. I haven't seen that place for 58 years. I believe the house on the corner of Gerrard St with the hedged wall was a Doctors Surgery.

Last edited:
This photo is one of those "Oh Wow" photos for me. That's where me and my friends used to hang out in 1960-61. I haven't seen that place for 58 years. I believe the house on the corner of Gerrard St with the hedged wall was a Doctors Surgery.
I have written a whole book on growing up in Guildford St, The Girl from Guildford St by Grace Holte. You should be able to get it from the library and it has many photos of Guildford St. http://www.brewinbooks.com/the_girl_from_guildford_street The doctor's may have been Dr Carolan's.

Attachments

• 34743711_180194489362126_5337206346632658944_o.jpg
    34743711_180194489362126_5337206346632658944_o.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot 2018-07-05 at 19.03.31.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-05 at 19.03.31.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2018-07-05 at 19.02.54.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-05 at 19.02.54.png
    544.6 KB · Views: 53
Hi Gina, I will look out for your book. I was with Doctors Firth & Carolyn ( Carolan? ) but they were situated at the bottom of Wheeler St.

its a good book banjo i have it...you are correct dr firth and carolans was at no 140 gt king st...smashing family doctors until they both retired map below showing the location of the surgery in pink

lyn

Last edited:
its a good book banjo i have it...you are correct dr firth and carolyns was at no 140 gt king st...smashing family doctors until they both retired map below showing the location of the surgery in pink

View attachment 132147

lyn
Dr Carolan was Eddie. He used to go to the Greyhounds at Perry Barr every Saturday with my Uncle John - he enjoyed a flutter and smoking a fag!! You should be able to request my book from the library. It is for sale on Amazon, and all proceeds go to Cancer Research UK. My cousins the Burkes also lived on Guildford St and played football on Geach St.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guildford St! We have already met on facebook, and I do post photos of it on my fb page The Girl from Guildford St. It is now Guildford Drive and looks totally different. The only thing that is the same is the Geach St street sign - presumably because it is fixed to the floor, and the church on Summer Lane, where I went to Sunday School.

My uncle Billy Palfrey was good mates with a Billy Clarke, I wonder if they are related?

Does anyone else remember the lady who sold toffee apples on Geach St? Her door opened in half, and she put out a tray with the sweets on. My mom used to buy some for the whole yard on Bonfore Night, when we all gathered in our back to back yard and burnt old pianos!
My Grandmother Mrs Toon. How lovely to hear you ask of her. She sold those Toffee apples for yrs. Some with coconut on top too, I was luck to get nine for free, my mom used to wrap the little sticks for her into bundles after my Grandad chopped them with my uncle Sam. Sadly she as passed away, she died in 1990, and she never left her Toffee recipe, she took it to her grave.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guildford St! We have already met on facebook, and I do post photos of it on my fb page The Girl from Guildford St. It is now Guildford Drive and looks totally different. The only thing that is the same is the Geach St street sign - presumably because it is fixed to the floor, and the church on Summer Lane, where I went to Sunday School.

My uncle Billy Palfrey was good mates with a Billy Clarke, I wonder if they are related?

Does anyone else remember the lady who sold toffee apples on Geach St? Her door opened in half, and she put out a tray with the sweets on. My mom used to buy some for the whole yard on Bonfore Night, when we all gathered in our back to back yard and burnt old pianos!
Would be nice to hear from you if you knew my moms family, the Toons

Hi Susanmarie I lived on cowper street and used to get toffee apples from mrs toon as often as I could , I have posted on this before probably on the cowper street link maybe you know the causer family .
I have no memory of the causer family. I was quite young then being born in 62, my Aunts probably will. Glad to hear you enjoyed your toffee apples of my Nanny Betty

I have no memory of the causer family. I was quite young then being born in 62, my Aunts probably will. Glad to hear you enjoyed your toffee apples of my Nanny Betty
Yes, I remember the Toons of Geach St and the lovely toffee apples. I wrote about it in the Bonfire Night chapter in my book x

What is your book Title?. She would be proud of that.
The Girl from Guildford St published under the name Grace Caroline Holte, and she is mentioned in the chapter High Days and Holidays and Bonfire Nights. People who have read it have commented on remembering her, so she is famous. I am turning it into a novel, Those Were Our Days, in which she appears as Mrs Twigg x

Thats correct the doctor at the corner of Gerrard Street during 1950-60 was a Dr Humpfries.

My grandfather was involved in the British Cast Iron Research Association in the 1920s-1940s. I have a couple of letters from him to my future grandmother which he addressed as the BCIRA 56 Guildford Street, Lozells. From a couple of maps c.1950 published on this thread I can see the likely location of 56 Guildford Street as on the corner of Paddington Street but on this map 56 and the building is not there. The BCIRA was known to be based in St Paul's Square, later Alvechurch, so this location is a mystery.

My grandfather was involved in the British Cast Iron Research Association in the 1920s-1940s. I have a couple of letters from him to my future grandmother which he addressed as the BCIRA 56 Guildford Street, Lozells. From a couple of maps c.1950 published on this thread I can see the likely location of 56 Guildford Street as on the corner of Paddington Street but on this map 56 and the building is not there. The BCIRA was known to be based in St Paul's Square, later Alvechurch, so this location is a mystery.
I lived on Guildford St from 1958 and remember no businesses, only shops. There was, however, a large empty factory at the back of our shared yard, which my nan could remember as being a work place (she had lived there since 1930). So there may have been others. We lived at no 37, opposite Geach St. Might be worth you researching Kelly's Directory. Also, the street had a direct bit during the war, which destroyed some buildings.

I lived on Guildford St from 1958 and remember no businesses, only shops. There was, however, a large empty factory at the back of our shared yard, which my nan could remember as being a work place (she had lived there since 1930). So there may have been others. We lived at no 37, opposite Geach St. Might be worth you researching Kelly's Directory. Also, the street had a direct bit during the war, which destroyed some buildings.
Also, the street was odds and evens - 56 would have been opposite us.

Also, the street was odds and evens - 56 would have been opposite us.
On a 1889 map also on this thread a building is shown on this corner. The BCIRA in its early days would have needed offices and laboratories. As you say it was possibly bombed during the War. There is a picture of a shop at 52 probably the other corner. Will try Trade Directories but the BCIRA was a government organisation so probably not listed.

The other side of the road to us was that which was bombed. Try the Archives service at central library, they are very helpful with info.

hi jonjb my mom lived at 4/12 paddington st and often spoke of the terrible bombing which happened on the corner of paddington st and guildford st which would explain why you cant see any building on that corner on the 1950 map..on the other corner of paddington st and guildford st was an outdoor and i have a photo of that taken in the 1960s..just out of interest what was the date of your grandfathers letters

lyn

hi jonjb my mom lived at 4/12 paddington st and often spoke of the terrible bombing which happened on the corner of paddington st and guildford st which would explain why you cant see any building on that corner on the 1950 map..just out of interest what was the date of your grandfathers letters

lyn
this was the area we called the bomb peck.

hi jonjb my mom lived at 4/12 paddington st and often spoke of the terrible bombing which happened on the corner of paddington st and guildford st which would explain why you cant see any building on that corner on the 1950 map..on the other corner of paddington st and guildford st was an outdoor and i have a photo of that taken in the 1960s..just out of interest what was the date of your grandfathers letters

lyn
1925 and 1926 for letters addressed as from 56 Guildford Str. The BCIRA was known as located in St Pauls Square in the 1920s so this was either a temporary location or a satellite office. From the 1950 map I can see there was an iron and steel works on Kensington Street just round the corner. There might have been a link to that. At St Pauls Square they had a test blast furnace. This received a direct hit in 1941(or 2) and they moved to Alvechurch.

thanks jon so he was at 56 guildford well before ww2 then..sorry i cant help you with info on BCRIA but hopefully someone can provide you with some info

lyn

On a 1889 map also on this thread a building is shown on this corner. The BCIRA in its early days would have needed offices and laboratories. As you say it was possibly bombed during the War. There is a picture of a shop at 52 probably the other corner. Will try Trade Directories but the BCIRA was a government organisation so probably not listed.
I lived on Paddington St. and I can say for sure that the corner of Paddington St & Guildford St was a bombed peck. On the other corner was an off-licence.
Dave A

Cannot find any reference to no 56 being BCIRA. In the 1930s it was a fried fish shop run by various people. The BCIRA was at Pauls Sq in Kellys till 1940, but has gone by 1943. Possibly your grandfather was based at home in Guildford St during the war and so had his letters concerning the association addressed there

thanks for the confirmation about no 56 guildford st mike...mom said it was the chippy on the corner that was bombed out...

lyn

Back