• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

Another big thank you. Its nice when your memories are proved right by the facts. You certainly know your stuff, The Weymouth Arms! I could never have imagined it being called that! I think my dad must have had a few Pints in there because he was never home.

I have discovered that Mr Shock the grocer lived at no 162 Guildford street. I cant remember if the house was also his shop or not? can anyone enlighten me please. I remember Mr Shock opening a shop outside Perry Common Comprehensive school in the mid sixties.

The 1962 Kellys lists Jihn shock as a shopkeeper at 162 Guildford St, which means his shop was there

hello PCA i believe that this is a photo of the weymouth arms pub corner of guildford and gerrard st...pretty sure you can see mr shocks shop at no 162 just past the lamp post so you would have lived at the back of it as shown on mikes map you can see the entrance you used to get to your house photo dated 1968 spot the name plaque on the wall leading to the terrace which would say ventnor terrace..pretty sure i have got this correct..hopefully you can confirm

lyn

Newtown_Pub_Unknown_Guildford_Street_from_Gerrand_Street_4-3-1968_Ansells.jpg

Last edited:
hello PCA i believe that this is a photo of the weymouth arms pub corner of guildford and gerrard st...pretty sure you can see mr shocks shop at no 162 just past the lamp post so you would have lived at the back of it as shown on mikes map you can see the entrance you used to get to your house photo dated 1968 spot the name plaque on the wall leading to the terrace which would say ventnor terrace..pretty sure i have got this correct..hopefully you can confirm

lyn

View attachment 146609
Looks like a ragman's cart on the right.
Dave A

Dear Mike, Lyn and Dave, you have all gone the extra mile for me how fantastic to see this photo, every thing you have said is right and the memories have flooded back. Can any of you remember the penny wink man who came around once a week we could get a brown bag of winkles for a penny and a pin to get them out with. They didnt go far between five of us but were a tasty treat.

hi PCA so pleased that the photo i posted is correct...this is a very long thread for guildford st so i hope you have seen all of the photos posted on here...i cant recall the penny winkle man myself but i bet we have members who do...what i do recall is our dad bringing home little bags of prawns for our mom from the pub every saturday night..dad would usually have whelks....happy days...

lyn

Last edited:
I have the feeling that penny winkle might be a corruption of periwinkle - the small sea snail. I guess that it would be just one of the hawkers items he had for sale. Of course a penny might be what was paid so the hawker got that name.
There are plants with that name. The one shown below I have, it is called Gertrude Jekyll.

1594470560936.png1594471022054.png

We saw few hawkers out in the sticks.

I have the feeling that penny winkle might be a corruption of periwinkle - the small sea snail. I guess that it would be just one of the hawkers items he had for sale. Of course a penny might be what was paid so the hawker got that name.
There are plants with that name. The one shown below I have, it is called Gertrude Jekyll.

View attachment 146637View attachment 146638

We saw few hawkers out in the sticks.
Yes you are right about penny vs. periwinkle...I was never made aware of this until I moved to Sussex when I was 17.
Dave A

I made this panorama image from two other photos which have previously appeared on this thread. Although not a photo in it's own right, I hope that it is acceptable to post it. This part of Guilford St ( looking towards Lozells Rd from Gerrard St ) is special to me because it's where I spent my early teenage years hanging around with my mates and chatting up the girls, messing about and no doubt annoying the local residents.Untitled-1.jpg

I have discovered that Mr Shock the grocer lived at no 162 Guildford street. I cant remember if the house was also his shop or not? can anyone enlighten me please. I remember Mr Shock opening a shop outside Perry Common Comprehensive school in the mid sixties.
Oh that brought back memories, being taken to Mr Shock`s. My Dad was born in 26/154 Guildford Street and my Nan lived there until 1965

The terraces often had several names ,. Thus your terrace could be called Ventnor terrace, back 162 or possibly part of court 8. Which was used varied , often over time. The pub on the corner, no 64 Gerrard st was the Weymouth Arms
It's lovely to see this map. My Dad was born and bred in 26/154 and I have such fond memories of staying with my Nan and family

before i repost all of my missing photos and tidy up this thread i am posting this one first for new member geoff astle to look at...geoff this shot show numbers 132 to 156 so the gap with missing houses is where no 142 would have stood and where 8 members of your astle family sadly lost their lives at 4/142 during the air raids of ww2 there was also deaths at nos 140 and 144 so that gap is where the 3 front houses stood..bit busy now so i will re post all the other photos later on..just as an aside to this very sad story here are the accounts of what happened in the guildford st air raid surrounding no 142 and the back houses

The major incidents occurred when a High Explosive bomb exploded in Guildford Street, demolishing about 16 back to back houses and a number of people were trapped in the cellars under the debris, after which a fire broke out above them.

lyn

View attachment 112481
My Dad`s cousins were one of those families killed by that. My Nan lived in 26/154 and we used to park on the debris

welcome to the forum niblo...every loss of life was awful enough but to lose 8 members in one go is so very sad

lyn

yes maurice we do seem to have lot of old end members on the forum as some members know guildford st was bombed during ww2...one family has always stuck in my mind which was the astle family at 4/142..the whole lot wiped out think it was 8 of them...mom..nan.. and 6 children..no mention of the dad who could well have been away fighting...if he was away fighting and came back alive i cant even begin to imagine how if at all he got over the loss of his wife..his mother and his 6 children

lyn
My Dad`s cousins were all killed in that The Hands family

these are the names of people who died in guildford st..unless the data base is wrong or maybe some names missed off the list i cant seem to see the hands family

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
AstleDavid01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells7CivilianView
AstleGeorge01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells10CivilianView
AstleHorace01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells9CivilianView
AstleLeah01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells36CivilianView
AstleMaureen01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells2CivilianView
AstleRaymond01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells8CivilianView
AstleSusannah01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells62CivilianView
AstleThomas01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells10CivilianView
BrownIvy01/11/194018/144 Guildford Street20CivilianView
ChapmanLouisa01/11/1940142 Guildford Street65CivilianView
DownesLeonard01/11/1940140 Guildford Street15CivilianView
DownesSamuel Albert01/11/1940140 Guildford Street55CivilianView
MillsEdith01/11/194019/144 Guildford Street49CivilianView
WadhamsEmily Elizabeth01/11/1940Guildford Street, Lozells59Civilian

I have just finished reading "tales of Guildford Street" which I thoroughly enjoyed however it was after my families time there, we lived at number 3 backa 162 Guildford street from 1949 until 1961. I remember that a mrs Brown lived next door, and that everyone was so friendly and kind I could walk into anyones house and receive my favorite, a cup of tea with seven or eight spoons of sugar in, Lovely. The Guildford pub was at the end of our entry and The old lady twins who lived at the start of the entry used to let me fetch their daily jug of beer from the outdoor once I was old enough of course, I think I was about six when I started doing it. My mum used to send me down to the corner shop for her fags, bread and a jar of jam which was all we ever seemed to eat when mum could afford it. Mr Shock was the owner at that time, a really kind man who didnt accept money for things We just had to say can you put it on the slate please and he would give you the things you wanted! amazing . If you said have you got any specs he would give you apples and pears with brown marks on, the only time we ever ate fruit, again amazing. I went to Lozels Primary School as soon as I was old enough. I had a lovely girl friend who lived on the other side of Guildford Street Her name was Lenita Price I liked her because her mum used to wrap a brick in a cloth and put it down the drain in her yard and flood it we could paddle for hours, great fun. My family and I have so many memories of our time in Guildford street but they were not easy and very very cold in the winter.
Where can I get a copy of "Tales of Guildford street " please

these are the names of people who died in guildford st..unless the data base is wrong or maybe some names missed off the list i cant seem to see the hands family

DownesSamuel Albert01/11/1940140 Guildford Street55CivilianView
MillsEdith01/11/194019/144 Guildford Street49CivilianView
WadhamsEmily Elizabeth01/11/1940Guildford Street, Lozells59Civilian
Oh my goodness!

its so tragic isnt it richard.....i often think of the astle family...george astle who could have been away fighting or maybe he survived the blast was a husband...son and father to the 8 that lost their lives...how on earth do you cope with that i cant even begin to imagine...so very very sad..god bless them all

lyn

Dear Mike, Lyn and Dave, you have all gone the extra mile for me how fantastic to see this photo, every thing you have said is right and the memories have flooded back. Can any of you remember the penny wink man who came around once a week we could get a brown bag of winkles for a penny and a pin to get them out with. They didnt go far between five of us but were a tasty treat.
yer. a man pushing a 3 wheel basket trolly.selling winks. i remember him lol

its so tragic isnt it richard.....i often think of the astle family...george astle who could have been away fighting or maybe he survived the blast was a husband...son and father to the 8 that lost their lives...how on earth do you cope with that i cant even begin to imagine...so very very sad..god bless them all

lyn
lyn, it is so very tragic............I hope that we never see the likes of that again! If only people today would realize/remember what we went through and the many years of pain afterward.

i agree richard...my nan lived in the street off guildford at the time and my mom was 11 so they would have known about this...possibly even knew the astles...