• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Griffiths Herbert Cherrywood Road

jhunter

knowlegable brummie
Looking for information on Herbert Griffiths of Cherrywood Road Birmingham 1911-1930,who was a relation of Sarah Jones. Sarah Married a Frank Millward a watch key maker and in 1930 they went to live in the Evesham area. They may have been connected to Frederick Stokes of Third Avenue Bordesley Green. Any information would be great. Thank you

Looking for information on Herbert Griffiths of Cherrywood Road Birmingham 1911-1930,who was a relation of Sarah Jones. Sarah Married a Frank Millward a watch key maker and in 1930 they went to live in the Evesham area. They may have been connected to Frederick Stokes of Third Avenue Bordesley Green. Any information would be great. Thank you
Hi I am related to the Griffiths family of Cherrywood Road but not as early as that but shown on 1939 register, Is there a connecction ? I do not have much information beyond grandparents being an Alfred ( a regular soldier) and Harriet (nee Harris) Griffiths. I believe several of their children lived in Cherrywood Road. Any information would be great. Thank you

It looks like jhunter hasn't been on the site for some years.

There are a pair of brothers Herbert and Alfred Griffiths from the area but I'm note sure if this is the Herbert they were referring to or if the Alfred is your Alfred. There is a discrepancy with his age in 1881 and 1921 and there are other Alfreds it could be.

Alfred and Harriet are living on Cherrywood Road in 1921 and Harriet is still there in 1939 at no. 30.

Rubyroo your family in Cherrywood road , Alfred b 1873 and Harriet b, 1881 married in birmingham register office 1903
their children Edith, Dorothy,Alfred,Leslie, Ernest and Marjory.

1911 census Ebrington Barracks , Londonderry , Ireland
Alfred Griffiths , Military.
Harriet age 30 wife.
Edith rose born Gibraltar
Dorothy b Londonderry
Alfred b. Londonderry.

Hi I am related to the Griffiths family of Cherrywood Road but not as early as that but shown on 1939 register, Is there a connecction ? I do not have much information beyond grandparents being an Alfred ( a regular soldier) and Harriet (nee Harris) Griffiths. I believe several of their children lived in Cherrywood Road. Any information would be great. Thank you

It appears that your Alfred Griffiths and jhunter's Herbert Griffiths were not brothers (which I tentatively suggested) but cousins. Alfred's father Edward and Herbert's father Herbert appear to be brothers, the sons of a David Griffiths.

In 1881 Edward and his family were living on Cherrywood Lane which became Cherrywood Road.

And in 1861 David and his family (including Edward and Herbert) are living on Cherry Lane, which is possibly an even earlier name for Cherrywood Road.

Thank you both for your replies, the information you posted has given me some more knowledge to building my grandparents kin. Any other info you may have would be much appreciated.

Back