• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greenway Street Small Heath

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
Hi
I had family living in Greenaway st.in the 1930`s.
It does not exist now,can anyone tell me where
Greenaway Street was please.
Regards
Carol

Hi Carol Greenway Street does still exist or part of it does it runs off Arsenal street Small Heath by Birmingham City's ground Bernie

Hi Bernie,
Thankyou for telling me Where Greenaway street is,i looked in the A-Z
but could not find it,i found Greenaway Close maybe that is part of it,
Anyway i am grateful to you.
Regards
Carol

Hello Carol if you have a map or A to Zfind the junction of Coventry Road and Cattle Road passing the blues ground going away from town the first right turn in Cattle road is Arsenal street and first right in Arsenal Street is Greenway Street or whats left of it . Hope this helps Bernie

GREENWAY STREET, Small Heath.

my understanding is that MOST of Greenway st is now part of the car park for Morrisons.

Margaret.

Someone's mum or grandma might have gone to Winifred's in Greenway Street. 'Morning perms' were probably necessary because of the time it took for a perm

Screenshot_20240205_102958_Gallery.jpg

The main vehicle entrance to Bywater's pork factory was in Greenway Street. This later became Roberts & Birch, also known as Robirch, a Burton on Trent company. I believe that all of this area is now covered by Morrison's Supermarket. Another smaller pedestrian entrance to Bywaters was off the Coventry road, next to a pub. All of the buildings, including many pubs along that part of Coventry Rd are now gone as well. It was a pretty vibrant area when I lived in Small Heath from the mid sixties to the early seventies.

Back