• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Green Lane Swimming Baths

woofy

proper brummie kid
Hi
I see on google earth the building are still standing are they still in use ? If so any photos of the inside
about, over the entrances its got first class men, second class and women surely all brummies are first
class.
cheers

Hiya Woofy
I practically lived at the Green lane swimming baths when I was growing up., both the old baths and the new. The new baths was all posh with proper changing cubicles and heating, even the water was quite warm whereas the old baths had very few frills, a big canvas curtain to change behind and freezing cold water.
Also, in the new baths, they had hair dryers, with massive tubes attached and off course the Brylcreme dispenser.
Great days indeed.

Hi postie
thats how i remember the baths went there every Saturday as a kid, in the new baths the diving board seemed sky high, hated the old baths though as you say cold all year round and bleak.
Brylcreme was that for mods or rockers.

iirc, Schools used the pool with the curtain, I cant remember ever paying to go in that part, the other pool had cubicles but you had to leave your clothes in a basket in a seperate room, not secure at all - my shoes got nicked once !

The diving boards were removed just around when I first started going there, so 1964ish. During the summer there were sometimes long queues in Green lane, so they ran 'sessions' where you got a limited ammount of time in the water.

There was also the washing baths, a bit like the ones in Quadraphenia. Not sure it is a Mosque, but the Library is I think.

Oh gosh - Green Lane baths! That's where I learned to swim. I remember the 'old baths' had changing 'cupboards' all around, with a partition shielding them from general view, apart from the one near the entrance, where the unlucky occupant had to change in view of all the swimmers.
I remember the place always being busy, and having to queue outside for the next session, which were frequently segregated, with boys in the old and girls in the new baths or vice versa. Swimmers were watched over by a dragon in a white coat, who blew a whistle at troublemakers, and who chased you out at the end of the session, often half dressed, hopping along trying to get socks onto wet feet! I got a free pass which, I think, was for passing life saving exams.

Back