• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Green & Baker Button Makers Birmingham

paul r

I am seeking some help in finding information on Green & Baker Button Makers Birmingham so I can have some history on a button from HMQN for “Her Majesty’s Queensland Navy” featured on QMDF Uniforms. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am based in Australia.

From Directories (Note: Date is date of publication and would refer in general to year before)

In 1884 there is no listing of Green & Baker, and no 25 Branston St is not listed in the directory.

1888-1904
Green & Baker. Manufacturers of military & naval ornaments, clasps, buckles & belt furniture, livery crest, regimental & metal buttons, cycle accessories & tool makers; Albert Works, 25 Branston St
(cycle accessories were a later addition and not included in the early years)

1908. At no 25 Branston St is Thomas Hopwood, gold cased chain manufacturer
No listing of Green & Baker.

The site of No 25 Branston St is now under a large block of modern flats
No 24. the position on a map c 1889 is marked in red below

map c1889 south end of Branston st showing no 27.jpg

Paul,

No mention in the London Gazette.

This was originally a partnership between William GREEN and George Thomas BAKER trading as Green & Baker at Albert Works, Branston Street, Birmingham, but as announced in the Birmingham Daily Post dated 3 September 1887, was disolved due to the retirement of William GREEN. However, I can find no mention of the firm in Birmingham prior to this date, possibly they traded elsewhere.

Throughout 1890 until 30 March 1905 George BAKER continued to trade under that name and regularly advertised in the Situations Vacant columns of the Birmingham Mail for staff, mainly young girls as solderers or youths for unspecified work, giving preference to those who had previously worked in the military button trade.

After that date I can find no reference to this firm, though it is possible that George BAKER died, retired, or went bankrupt. If I come across any additional information I will, of course, post it here.

Maurice

Last edited:
Here's the dissolution referred to in the previous post:-

Maurice

Attachments

• GreenBaker_01091887.jpg
    GreenBaker_01091887.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 8
Back