• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Western Arcade

Hi Kath i remember back in 1969/1970 me and my mate Kenny Cottier both bought suede jackets from a shop in the Great Western Arcade they were great we thought we were the bees knees, they always looked good and expensive. Raz X

Last edited:
Quite a common view along GW Arcade, taken c1910. Love the elegance of the ladies clothing and the appearance of a leisurely stroll through the Arcade. But, it’s also advertising. The postcard producer/photographer (Lang) has an advertising board to the left in the Arcade. Handy for picking up your postcards of Brum before boarding a train at Snow Hill ! Viv.

B6F6F926-3DC8-46D0-A02A-776C744D1150.jpeg

Quite a common view along GW Arcade, taken c1910. Love the elegance of the ladies clothing and the appearance of a leisurely stroll through the Arcade. But, it’s also advertising. The postcard producer/photographer (Lang) has an advertising board to the left in the Arcade. Handy for picking up your postcards of Brum before boarding a train at Snow Hill ! Viv.

View attachment 155776
Hi Vivienne14 what a fantastic photo i always loved walking through the Arcade i bet these developers would love to flatten it and build another useless empty office block . Raz

This is an odd postcard. The image has obviously been coloured, but it’s not a good image as far as the people in it. However, the colouring helps to highlight the architectural features. The name Lang appears on the left-hand side, but I wonder if Lang produced postcards of this quality or type ? It appears to be a linen or clothes shop above the Lang’s sign, so maybe Lang’s had premises above the shop. It’s eBay description claims it’s about c1905. Viv.
37E7B41E-695E-4AA0-AD6A-2E79CC38824B.jpeg

From Kellys 1904:

Lang Hugo & Co. swiss warehouse, 24 Gt. Western arcade

Presumably a Swiss warehouse concentrated on Swiss products

Must have sold ‘Pictures and postcards’ as a sideline then Mike (according to the pc in post #62). Wonder what were Swiss products ? Probably something to do with cloth
or lace perhaps judging by the products in the window. Viv.

This shop front (#19 -#22) in the GW Arcade might well still be there. I like this shop front design the way you walk through the window displays on either side. Gives maximum exposure to a lot of items for sale inside the shop.

A lot of lace doilies on sale, doubtless hankies, Irish linen tea towels and antimacassars too. (For our younger readers a ‘hanky’ was a thing you blew your nose on and antimacassars were protective covers for armchairs and settees (sofas) !). Makes you realise how many household items are nowadays rarely in use as well as their names dropping out of everyday use.

I’d have very much enjoyed “a visit to Bucklands

Viv.

47D6D265-6351-400D-860C-62B710F69DD6.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back