• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Charles Street School

Ladywoodite

knowlegable brummie
Hi Everyone.
My father was born in 1919 in King Edwards Road, Ladywood. He said his first school was Gt Charles street school. Many of his friends said he was wrong that there wasn't a school there. He insisted he was right and told me he used to go in via a back entrance in Cambridge street. I have a 1914 ordnance survey map of Birmingham town centre, and guess what it shows, almost at the junction of Gt Charles st and Cambridge st., yes a school. Does anyone have any information about this school?

Credit British-History. (M and I means mixed infants)

GREAT CHARLES STREET C. OF E. SCHOOL. Christ Church National Sch., Pinfold St. Christ Church apparently had a sch. of industry in 1829 with 110 B, G in attendance. It had no building until 1837, when one was opened in Pinfold Street (59) accom. 800.(29) In 1837 it was apparently a sch. of industry for G only, with 2 teachers. Average time spent in sch. was 1¼ year. Small fees were charged.(36) In 1841 there was apparently an ordinary day sch. with 180 B, G in attendance. In 1845 there were 3 depts. (B, G, I) in the 3 stories of the sch. building and in 5 neighbouring houses. (1) In 1856 there was also a sch. of industry.(59) In 1846 the staff comprised a master, 2 mistresses and 3 assistants.(30) B dept. received annual grants from 1857 and G and I depts. from 1859. Fees 1d.–3d.(22) The sch. property was sold 1887 and part of the proceeds was used to buy a site in Great Charles St. where the sch. was rebuilt as Christ Church National Sch., Great Charles St., accom. 520. Remainder of proceeds invested in £2,041 stock.(21) Name changed 1903 to Great Charles Street C. of E. Sch. and sch. reorganized for M, I.(1) Bd. of Ed. demanded substantial improvements in premises 1912.(21) Closed 1936.(1)

Back