• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great barr hall

I do hope they manage to save it and make it into a useful building.

Looks like a step forward David. Hope restoration goes to plan. Can't make out what the longer term plan will be, but all the same at least it looks like it will be restored. Viv

As seen today

Attachments

• 5th March  Tuesday 2013 031.jpg
    5th March Tuesday 2013 031.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 5th March  Tuesday 2013 034.jpg
    5th March Tuesday 2013 034.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 5th March  Tuesday 2013 035.jpg
    5th March Tuesday 2013 035.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 5th March  Tuesday 2013 037.jpg
    5th March Tuesday 2013 037.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 42
Structurally it looks do-able to my untrained eye, but would take lots of cash and then what do you get ? a somethinglikeitusedtobe.
Great pics tho - thank you

Hi Dave,

I am looking to write a feature on Great Barr Hall for a heritage blog (Birmingham Conversation Trust). I have been looking to visit the site, but I have heard it is now really hard to get close to the Hall with security and trespassing etc.. I wondered if you would give me your permission to use your photos, they are great? Many Thanks

Hi Dave,

I am looking to write a feature on Great Barr Hall for a heritage blog (Birmingham Conversation Trust). I have been looking to visit the site, but I have heard it is now really hard to get close to the Hall with security and trespassing etc.. I wondered if you would give me your permission to use your photos, they are great? Many Thanks

Petal was only thinking about the Hall yesterday and today, time for a visit, use any of my pics as you wish Dave

​Great Barr Hall today, 6th Nov 2014 looks bleak

Attachments

• 6th November 2014 Thursday 003.jpg
    6th November 2014 Thursday 003.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 6th November 2014 Thursday 006.jpg
    6th November 2014 Thursday 006.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 28
The building is a Grade 2 with star (Grade 2*) making it very difficult for the current owners to obtain a 'listed building consent' to demolish it. The building's Grade 2 with the added star status is perhaps more 'fanciful' than a mere Grade 2 which is what it should be, but there it is. It would seem the building owners are waiting for English Heritage to stump up a sizable grant to aid the rebuilding costs. The catch 22 for the building owners is the English Heritage grants generally come with a proviso requirement: a proviso of some degree for public admission to the rebuilt building, given that tax payers money have contributed to its restoration. The landed aristocracy get around this proviso by having their tax-funded homes open to the public for one or two days a year, much to their grovelling annoyance.

Other fanciful ideas that are banded & mooted about are the ideas for the eventual use of the building once rebuilt. The first step is to have the building re-graded to a mere Grade 2 listing (which is what it should be) and the listing limited to the front facia of the building: the remaining parts of the building's curtilage have no real merit for retention. This re-grading will aid (in various ways) all those interested parties that desire the realistic preservation to some (not all) of the building at least.

Sadly, the demise of this building falls directly towards Walsall Council elected official & officers (and over many years) that had a legal duty to protect, but greed and avarice for the building's demesne (and pool) and the 57 luxury dwellings to be built, took precedence over their public trust integrity. In summary, Great Barr Hall will have a future but not the future many people envision...the many people with sans money invested in this enterprise.

thanks for the updated photos dave...shame to see the hall in such a state...

lyn

​Great Barr Hall today 30th April 2015, and a notice do not know how old it is

Attachments

• 30th April 2015 Thursday  0112.jpg
    30th April 2015 Thursday 0112.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 30th April 2015 Thursday  0116.jpg
    30th April 2015 Thursday 0116.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 27
What is the latest on Great Barr Hall.I have been told its Status has been down graded?
Regards
John HUGHES

This was the replacement for Nether Hall/House. This 1830 drawing shows the house before it was altered in the 1840s. Viv.

image.jpeg

Back