• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

grave photograph? Lodge Hill

Ls48029

knowlegable brummie
My apologies if this is an inappropriate request to make. I am not based anywhere near Birmingham but I would dearly love to retrieve a photograph of the grave of 3 people buried in the same plot. I do not know if the same headstone was used for all 3, the first died in the 1930s, the third in the 1960s, but they are all in the same plot, which I have the number and location of.
I have asked on findagrave.com but received no response so I am posting in the hope that someone here might have capacity to pop into Lodge Hill to take a photograph for me.
If anyone is willing and able could you let me know?
Again, apologies if this is not the right forum for this kind of enquiry and Iook forward to any guidance you may be able to offer if this is so. I will provide location/all other details I can.
Thank you.

hello, three of you replied with a thumbs up but im not sure if that may mean you are willing/able to assist me at all or if it was an indicaiton of your interest in the subject. Would you let me know if you are willing / if not, if you know of any better places to post this request or any other resources to try?
thank you so very much.

hello, three of you replied with a thumbs up but im not sure if that may mean you are willing/able to assist me at all or if it was an indicaiton of your interest in the subject. Would you let me know if you are willing / if not, if you know of any better places to post this request or any other resources to try?
thank you so very much.
The thumbs up are indeed an interest in the subject. Do bear in mind that a lot, perhaps a majority of member on this forum do not now live in Birmingham, so visits to site are now always a practical option.

Saying that it would be helpful if you could give an indication of the grave marker location and the names of the people.

Thank you very much indeed for your reply, that is very helpful. I have the plot informaiton for all three individuals who are burried in the same place, Emma Shalyer in 1931 (her name was Emma and burial record is for Emma but she was also known as Emily so if there is a marker it may read Emily), Frank Shayler in 1946 and Rose Ellen Shayler 1969. I have accessed the historic burial record pages for all 3. The 'Situation of the Grave' section of the record is designated as follows:

Square and class - 20d (I believe section 20 is near the Garden of Rest / waiting room according to maps I have been able to access)

Number of grave - 116 (116 being listed for all 3 individuals)
the other details given include it being a purchased 9ft grave.

I actually do not know if anyone else might have been buried there subsequent to Rose after 1969, but Frank's burial record has a '1 in' marker and Rose's has a '2 in' marker indicating I think that only Emma was in the grave when Frank was buried, and only the two of them were there when Rose was.

What do you think? is that enough to give someone locally enough to find the site?

Best wishes in appreciation.

From a map I have section 20 in by the chapel but the graves in that plot don't appear to include 116.

Wow! Thank you both- had me worried about my reading skills for a moment there! I had only seen a map indicating a section 20 by the waiting room, it hadn't occurred to me there might be a 2nd hidden section 20 but given the mysterious tale I have been following of these individuals I should hardly be surprised...
An excerpt from Frank's burial record at the Lodge Cemetery in 1946 is attached and does (after re-reading several times) show section 20 plot 116.
What do you think of my chances of finding someone locally who might take a photo for me? Now that we have been able to pinpoint quite specifically where they are, have you got any suggestions on how I might proceed? I am unfortunately a few hundred miles away myself...
frank burial.jpg

wanted to express gratitude again for the help I was given here, which gave me enough to source someone who was very kindly able to photograph the site for me. Enjoyment of participating in this fantastic community just keeps growing!
Thansk again all, have a good weekend.

Back