• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

grave location in wartsone lane cem

celia

master brummie
hi guys
yes its me again
after spending this morning in birmingham central library i have found what i think to belive to be one of my relatives buried in warstone lane cem
now i know where the cem is as i passed it on the bus this afternoon on the way to handsworth cem
what i would like to know is dose the grave stand a chance of still being there or would there a inscription on a collective head stone

im looking for leah morrall
date of death december 22 or 23 1882
grave number 31445

if anybody has any info i would be very greatfull
many thanx celia

Celia ... Wendy may be able to help ?if not then someone will there is a link to that site with pictures....? try googling :)

good thinking bat man ;)
or should i say other half lol
thanks will google that and see what comes up
celia

Celia if you go to search at the top of the page and type in Warstone Lane there are a lot of links there and a real good one that Wendy put on and some pics :)

Hi Celia. A difficult question to answer.... if a memorial is still there. Sadly some have been removed because they have either been vandalised or just crumbled. You have a grave number of 31445 did you have a section number. There is a map of Warstone Lane here; https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5395&highlight=warstone+lane&page=2

As you will see its divided into sections each section has graves all numbered even if they are not visible now.
I would now suggest with the information you have give Handsworth Cemetery a ring. They hold the records for Warstone Lane and should be able to help with the location of your families grave. Give as much information as possible names, dates and grave numbers. They are very helpful but please remember it is a working cemetery. They are very busy so you may not get the info straight away.

Are you sure that the character at the end of the grave nunber is 5 (five). Could it be an S (for sugar)?
I have relatives buried in Warstone Lane and the grave number take the following form:
digit, digit, digit, digit, letter (The letter is the block number)
Handsworth Cemetery have a plan with grave numbers and blocks. I have a copy, but I can't put my hand on it tonight (funnily enough I was looking for it for myself as well). If I find it tomorrow afternoon, I will add it to the thread.

hi wendy and leslam
i found the grave number in burial registar at birmingham central library on the microw films
they were all hand writen and not very good qulity due to the fact that they are very old
i could only just make out the month that she died hence im sure sure if it 22nd or the 23rd but i do know it was december that i could make out
so in answere to your question it could be 31445 or 3144s
leslam if you could find warstone cemetary plane i would be very greatfull
thankyou eberybody for your help
celia xxxxxx

Here is a map I have of Warstone Lane cemetery it looks like section S is on the corner of Ickneild Street and Pitsford Street.

Click on open original at the bottom of the picture then click on the picture it should enlarge.:)

hi wendy
thankyou for the map
i shall google earth it so then i can get an idea of where it is
then i think its another trip to brum to see if i can find it
now i know where it is and its only a short bus ride away
many thanx for all your help
celia

Well, I have (finally) found the plan that I was looking for - unfortunately, it is only of sections M and N. Adding it anyway, in case it is of use to someone else. [The grave that is marked is to do with the family I am researching - it was too difficult to edit out the colour!]
I have added an instruction at the bottom to help orientate anyone who wants to use it.
I got this plan from the office at Handsworth Cemetery (who are also responsible for Warstone Lane), so presumably they have similar plans for other sections?

I had to go to Warstone Cemetery today, so I thought I would see if I could find the grave for you.
I did a thorough search of section S but I'm afraid that there is no sign of the grave you are looking for. There are lots of kerb stones that are half burried and I think that a plane of section S is required to progress any further. Also, I found no numbers above about 1500, so as the microfilm was so poor, I am wondering if the number you are after is actually 314 S or 344 S.
Section S is in a particularly poor state, being the closest to Icknield Street. I took the following attached photos to show the extent of section S:
photo1_50pc.jpg - taken with back to Icknield St looking at the first row of S section graves. This grave is 1248 S
photo2_50pc.jpg - taken with back to Icknield St, standing by the path at the entrance to the cemetery, looking across section S towards Pittsford St.
photo3_50pc.jpg - taken from last row of section S looking towards Icknield St.

If I go to Handsworth Cemetery, I will ask them if they have a plan for section S.

hi leslam
thankyou for looking for thr grave of leah morrall
yes the microw film was bad to read i could only just sbout make out the date she died
i think the best thing to do is give handsworth cem a ring and see if they can come up with anything
i know it will take some time cos i know they are busy
i didnt relise warston cem was in a bad state
but neveer mind i will get there in the end
tracing your family tree is not the quickest thing in the world is it lol
but thankyou for trying to find leah's grave

celia xxxxxx

I've just been looking at some notes I made from the Warstone Lane index and I've realised that the number you are after is probably 31445 after all. What confused me is that I don't think that this is the grave number, but the index number that is used to find the record of the burial.
I would definitely email Handsworth Cemetery or write to them with the information you have. They should be able to give you a section and grave number based on this.
Let us know when you have it!

Leslam: Looking at the taller of the two trees on the left of Photo 2 - my grandparents are buried underneath that tree, the plot was confirmed by Handsworth Cemetery. The grave has sunk without trace, even the kerbstones. I keep meaning to ask about reinstating the grave but I think it would involve funeral directors and getting the plot measured and mapped out, and would therefore be quite expensive. Anyone know?

Charlie you can get permission from Handsworth I filled a form in to ask if my memorial could be located. Once it is found, it is then up to a stone mason to see if it can be done. I believe the big problem is subsidence and of course our old favourite health and safety!

hi leslam
thankyou for your reply
thinking about it i do think the number i found in the burial registar is the index number to find the record of the burial
but what i have done is emailed handsworth cem with all the details i have and hopefull they might be able to help me
but we know they are busy so it might take some time but as soon as i have the information i will let you know
knowing my luck leah might not even be buried in warstone or even in section s lol
anyway thanx for taking the time to look for me its very much appreciated
celia xxxxxx

Back