• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grassy Banks Aston

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
hello. does any one remember the place we called grassy banks,a place down aston church rd,were now stands a scrap yard.It was a haven for us kids,taking a bottle of tea and some sarnies
we watched the steam trains filling up with water and,speed by,on the high level and low level.also there was a bridge over aston church rd,this line went to metro camel works,were the pullman was made, we would poke about in a little brook,a smelly brook at that,and lie in the sun,,and get sun burned.when it was time to go we went up to the baths and have a bath,in one of them huge baths with great big taps on,some times for a dare we would pull that chain,that hung down,and the man would come running.and give us a telling off.
then home we all went,hoping to meet up again the next weekend for more adventures down grassy banks.
pete

Last edited by a moderator:
i ordered a model of the 1960s pullman i saw them making for my collection. how sad is that :grinning:
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
anyone on here that spotted at the grassy banks in the 50s and early 60? whould like to hear from you

1690839657193.png
before the taroni scrap yard took over the site

Looking towards Aston with Aston Church Road on the left and the former LNWR bridge carrying the Aston to Stechford line on the right. The line nearest to the camera carried traffic to both the Carriage & Wagon Company's works and also the Stowing Sidings which lay adjacent to these works.The steel girder section of the LNWR viaduct is carrying the line over the main up and down passenger lines on the Derby to Birmingham route whilst the archways either side of the steel girder bridge are carrying the line over Washwood Heath's up and down goods lines respectively. 12th May 1961

Back