• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

John

I remember them well also, only my memories consist of trudging down there a on a Saturday carrying my mothers heavy bags of shopping. Looking back now I think they must have been full of potatoes because we could afford little else. John we don't hear from you enough of late.
Hello Phil, yes I'm afraid that's right, don't seem to find anything of interest on here lately, all the old regulars no longer post, don't think there's anything new to post about, hope you are keeping well, saw Mike the other week in town, but I was on the bus.

Back in the days before the supermarket spread, many people bought potatoes in quantities such as 7lbs., 14 lbs. and often - for those with strong arms 28 lbs. Not pre-packed in smaller quantities in clear plastic film, but weighed out on a scale. The scale consisted of weighing pan which usually had one end closed with a lifting handle - well 14 lbs. or more wasn't a one hand operation for some sales staff. The weights were cat iron from 1 lb upwards to 14 lbs. Some places had a 28 lb. weight frequently used nowadays as a door stop. The pan was used, in the manner of a scoop/shovel when it was being used. The potato display in many - if not most - greengrocers was a large timber affair, colloquially known as a 'spud board' which could hold something up to four or five cwt. * of potatoes.
* 200 to 250 Kg. for those who have left school since we all became Europeans. :eek:

Everyone on this site and this thread has so much knowledge.....Can anyone remember many years ago something which was either a de railment or explosion on the railway on duddeston mill road????

The incident did make the news and the papers and if I recall people had to be evacuated from their homes, This was towards the bottom end of the road not the top end by Melvina Rd.

It was a Saturday morning in 64 or 65 and it was a train fire. The train was pulling tanks of butane several of which exploded. I lived in Duddeston mill rd and waves of flames were rolling above our house. It looked just like war had broken out.

Re: Gosta Green

Hello Pete, I feel quite sure there was an Horse Trough on Gosta Green, and I think the very last one I saw was at the junction of Cattel Road and Coventry Road. That was a lovely reminder Pete, they were so common place at one time, Just proves how much they relied on horses all those years ago and I think it must have been early 1960's when horses gave way to mechanical transport.
Pete. Do you remember the Charabang's was years ago, the posh name today are Coaches.
How about a trip out this weekend in a Charabang?

sylvia-motor-coachBHF.jpg

Thanks Mike for the info,Mary Ann Weston was my great grandmother, unfortunately she died before i was born but i still remember her husband Charles Weston, he lived into his nineties and we used to visit him on a Sunday morning, he was almost blind then and he died when i was about ten. He never worked in the shop though, he spent 45 years as a goods porter on the railways, mainly in Curzon St station . Albert Weston , my father was born above the shop at no 38. Unfortunately he passed away in 1989 but my mother still remembers it all , she was born in Darwin St.
Hi Trueblue - Charles Weston was my great grandfather too. My grandmother was Lilian Ward (nee Weston), she sadly passed away in 2003 - she was 90. It's been so lovely to hear your account of him. Do you have any photographys?

Hi, Does anyone have a copy of a photo sent by Phil [post 1805 May 29 2010]
titled 'NechellsAerialView-1.jpg'
thanks

I wondered if anyone remembered anything about the Beadsmores, who were in Sunnyside in the 1900s decade through to the 1st world war. Mary Grace Beadsmore was irish, and was widowed in 1906, but precise details of her past are hard to come by. My grandmother was the oldest daughter, Lily. Thanks

I wondered if anyone remembered anything about the Beadsmores, who were in Sunnyside in the 1900s decade through to the 1st world war. Mary Grace Beadsmore was irish, and was widowed in 1906, but precise details of her past are hard to come by. My grandmother was the oldest daughter, Lily. Thanks
steve i have moved your post to the correct section of the forum which is surname interests...click on link below

lyn

Back