• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gill, Harvey, Deakin, Woolley

M

Mark Cloke

Hi

My name is Mark Cloke and I am researching the various Sword Cutlers that operated in Birmingham during the 18th and 19th Century. I would be very interested to hear from anyone that is related to the various families involved in this significant trade for the region. Although I am interested in speaking to anyone with information on the trade, I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone with information relating to the following families that were heavily involved....

Gill
Harvey
Deakin
Woolley

I will also be happy to provide information to anyone who is interested in this aspect of Birmingham life.

Feel free to email me on [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Mark, I recently did a search for one of our members,
user name Bernard Ric

His ancester was Harry Gill born 1814
on 1851 census he is in Bath row, occupation Sword Cutler
on subsequent censii he is a Spur maker.

Go to members list and look for all posts by Bernard Ric.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am aware of "Bernard Ric" and have been in correspondence with him. He was the person who actually pointed me to this forum.

I have been researching the Gill family for 18 months now, but also wanted to ftry to find out about some of the other important families involved in this trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark i have ancestors from this area listed as Bawl forgers.......i am told this is to do with the sword trade not quite sure though, also listed are jewellers,and tool dealers,blacksmiths and assorted metals worker
They were mostly called woolley or sometimes wood-woolley......

Hi Mark i have ancestors from this area listed as Bawl forgers.......i am told this is to do with the sword trade not quite sure though, also listed are jewellers,and tool dealers,blacksmiths and assorted metals worker
They were mostly called woolley or sometimes wood-woolley......

Hello,
I am afraid that I have no idea what a 'Bawl forgers' is? However the Woolley family were very prolific sword manufacturers from around 1785-1834, probably one of the largest Birmingham suppliers. James Woolley was partnered with various other people during this period, Deakin, Sageant, Fairfax and others but Woolley was always the senior partner and controlled things. I haven't researched biographical information on this family yet sorry. There was an article written on Woolley (Journal of the Royal Armouries, Arms and Armour, Volume 1, Number 2, October 2004 , pp. 159-164(6) which can be purchased here.... https://www.maney.co.uk/index.php/journals/aaa/?back=1 or from the Armouries.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

My granfather was an Albert Woolley ASTON ,his Nephew was a Frederick Woolley who had an Enginering Co in Hockley up untill a few years ago.
Sorry I have no more info

hi Baron how weird my great grandfather was albert woolley from aston also born around 1890's...........

Back