• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gibbons Joseph b1756 Aston

O

O.C.

Joseph Gibbins was Secretary of the Rose Copper Company Cherry Street.  He was born in Aston 18 May 1756, married a Martha Bevington in 1778 and died in 1811 in B’ham.  He was a Quaker and very religious. He was in the button business but came out when others marketed their buttons as double plated when they were not.  He was offered a loan by Matthew Boulton and went into the copper business in Swansea where he bought the Rose Copper Company and became prosperous. 
Joseph's daughter was Martha Gibbins.
Later he became a partner in a Birmingham Bank with Samuel Lloyd who might have started Lloyds Bank but I will have to look into that further

Lloyds bank started in 1765, at which time Joseph Gibbins would have been 9 years old. ;)

Thanks for that Postie as I was going to research that a bit later, saved me a bit of time

Frances Lloyd was the Quaker founder of Lloyds Bank Samuel Lloyd might be his son

Cromwell, Sampson LLoyd and John Taylor were the founders of LLoyds Bank. Sampson the son of Sampson LLoyd. The family owned an Iron Works, their roots were in Wales.

Go to Voyages in Time ~ Family and Friends & Places Barnetts Hoares and Hanbury - Googles it. It is an interesting piece on the LLoyd family, and their Quaker roots.

I am interested in the Gibbins family as well. Any information would be appreciated. I have Joseph listed with notes on my family history site, https://drwilliams.org. I also have additional information I have not posted. Please let me know what we might have in common.
Rea

Back