• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

As Brian said in post #1261, Nos. 127 & 128 were almost certainly set back, you can see the original line of the building, this made room for the signs which were later hidden away by a second level construction.
Like buried treasure, the BHF detectorists dug them up.
Have been reading the planning application documents from 2018 which were very illuminating. As we suspected the buildings were originally set back. In fact if you look at the photo below the two storey bit behind the single storey frontage is the original building line here. I’ve attached a link to the full report for anyone who has acrobat….if it works!

B9C5FB05-82BE-42F5-B2B6-C7F8AE365E73.png

yes thanks brian as suspected most of the original buildings were set back...i was only looking at the one behind the clifden again on st view the other day and wondered what its used for ..surely its not part of the pub or is it...i used to work there and i dont know...need to investigate when i can

lyn

yes thanks brian as suspected most of the original buildings were set back...i was only looking at the one behind the clifden again on st view the other day and wondered what its used for ..surely its not part of the pub or is it...i used to work there and i dont know...need to investigate when i can

lyn
The heritage report I attached has a lot of detail so your answer might be in there somewhere!

Have been reading the planning application documents from 2018 which were very illuminating. As we suspected the buildings were originally set back. In fact if you look at the photo below the two storey bit behind the single storey frontage is the original building line here. I’ve attached a link to the full report for anyone who has acrobat….if it works!

View attachment 158415
What an incredible and informative document, the images taken in the derelict workshops have to be seen to be believed. It makes you realise why so much is being demolished but I do wonder if the original frontage had not been extended outwards would the original buildings have become listed properties.

sadly i cant view the report and as i dont have a clue how to i will wait until my son visits and ask him for help

lyn
Might be me I'm no teccy either but the link looked like it worked. It's an acrobat file.
If not you can find it on the planning online site. I'll add the reference later. Teatime now!

got it now brian...oh my oh my...how interesting but i doubt very much if that building behind the clifden will be saved

john i cringe at the word LISTED means nothing to me these days...if a building is in the way it will go no matter how listed it is...its a good job we have this forum full of like minded people to bring what is left of our history to the fore

lyn

got it now brian...oh my oh my...how interesting but i doubt very much if that building behind the clifden will be saved

john i cringe at the word LISTED means nothing to me these days...if a building is in the way it will go no matter how listed it is...its a good job we have this forum full of like minded people to bring what is left of our history to the fore

lyn
A lot of the buildings are in such poor condition I can actually understand having to let them go but as you say we need to do all we can to record and preserve memories for future generations. I'm not from Birmingham originally and only moved into JQ in 2006 but I'm as interested as anyone in the past. Others will follow in years to come, hopefully they will benefit from this and other groups efforts.

i agree with you brian...most of the original buildings left standing are most likely 200 years old and in a very bad state so yes its up to us and others to try and record what is going on now so that future generations may benefit and who knows when other buildings along gt hampton row are demolished we maybe treated to yet more old ghost signs long forgotten

lyn

The developers/contractors on Great Hampton St now exposed the cellar and furnaces under part of the Lampworks and have done a cracking photo of the ghost sign I couldn't get from my side of the compound fence.
Any detail on Strawbridge (maybe an s but can't see the end) painter and glazier of 30 Great Hampton St will be most welcome!Screenshot_2021-08-04-16-29-25-325_com.instagram.android.jpg

wow thanks brian i have total faith in cordia as they really seem to care about brums history....can you actually see the cellars from gt hampton st bri

lyn

View attachment 158523The Lamp Works which will be filling the gap where the demolition revealed the ghost signs. No hope of saving them so go see whilst you may.
this is where the developers must have got the name from fro the new building thats going up called the lamp works..although the original lamp works was on the corner of gt hampton st and hockley st i guess its close enough

lamp works 2.jpglamp works great hampton st and hockley st.jpg

The developers/contractors on Great Hampton St now exposed the cellar and furnaces under part of the Lampworks and have done a cracking photo of the ghost sign I couldn't get from my side of the compound fence.
Any detail on Strawbridge (maybe an s but can't see the end) painter and glazier of 30 Great Hampton St will be most welcome!View attachment 159987
What a great find, that is brilliant.

Any detail on Strawbridge (maybe an s but can't see the end) painter and glazier of 30 Great Hampton St will be most welcome!View attachment 159987
its an old ghost sign...this from 1877 although its lovely to see these old sign revealed so sad that they will most likely go forever now

strawbridge . Birm gazette.   4.7.1877.jpg

its an old ghost sign...this from 1877 although its lovely to see these old sign revealed so sad that they will most likely go forever now

View attachment 160227
Such a wonderful look into our history, what & how things were! For me they conjure up what real life was back then, if we could only capture the moment.

The photos taken by Forum members are a blessing, they keep our history alive and available!

In September 1997 the Birmingham Post reports that Wimbush will take over the premises of what used to be Austin Reed on the corner of New Street and Cannon Street. The present Google Earth picture doesn’t give any idea of what may have been written above the window on the corner.
some general insurance company ltd which hopefully someone else can trace to the location as I can’t make out the precise name!
Screenshot_2021-08-12-17-34-17-255_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Back