• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

i cant believe we dont seem to have a proper photo of frederick restalls..been through the great hampton st thread to no avail...will search my photo folders next

lyn

As Brian said in post #1261, Nos. 127 & 128 were almost certainly set back, you can see the original line of the building, this made room for the signs which were later hidden away by a second level construction.
Like buried treasure, the BHF detectorists dug them up.

Attachments

• 26-great-hampton-street-outline.jpg
    26-great-hampton-street-outline.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 9
I see you have found some more info. looking at directories He first appears in the 1849 directory in 1849 (not there in 1845), an duntil the 1882 Kellys the firm is listed as japanners. It is first listed as colour makers in the 1883 edition, and this description is continued till 1888, but by 1890 the firm is described as varnish maker. the last mention of the firm is in the 1900 edition, it having disappeard by the 1903 edition.

I see you have found some more info. looking at directories He first appears in the 1849 directory in 1849 (not there in 1845), an duntil the 1882 Kellys the firm is listed as japanners. It is first listed as colour makers in the 1883 edition, and this description is continued till 1888, but by 1890 the firm is described as varnish maker. the last mention of the firm is in the 1900 edition, it having disappeard by the 1903 edition.
mike what address was he at in 1849 please

lyn

He stayed at no 27 for the life of the company
thanks mike a lot of people dont realise just how old a lot of the gt hampton st buildings are...looking at the mass demo going on down there now there soon wont be much left of it

lyn

As light addition/correction. Sutcliffe is in the 1845 edition, but at no 41 Gt Hampton St (definitely different building , nor renumbering). He is not listed in the 1841 directory though

thought i would post this one on here...lovely photo looking up vyse st from gt hampton st corner...sign sadly long gone though..photo courtesy of our good friend kieron from west midlands pubs..that lovely old house was replaced by a bank..street view below

great-hampton-street-vyse-street (2).jpg

Last edited:
i have emailed frederick restalls asking them if in their archives they have a decent photo of the gt hampton st buildings they can send me so that i can post it on this thread and the restall thread.. have explained why...will let you know if i have any luck

lyn

Last edited:
Regarding Isherwood Sutcliffe, I have found a little more information in the work of Yvonne Jones (Japaned Papier Mache & Tinware c1740-1940) although mysteriously he is not listed in the index (!!) . The information and a photo of one of his works from the book is below:

View attachment 158398View attachment 158399
Brilliant stuff. I hope you don't mind but the original stuff you posted has been used in the Birmingham Mail online piece now up? Cheers.

Brilliant stuff. I hope you don't mind but the original stuff you posted has been used in the Birmingham Mail online piece now up? Cheers.
hi bri it would not be the first time the mail has had help from our forum members which is great as the articles and tv appearences we have had in the past gives us a bit of a boost so it would be nice if they credited the info to the birmingham history forum and its members

lyn

hi bri it would not be the first time the mail has had help from our forum members which is great as the articles and tv appearences we have had in the past gives us a bit of a boost so it would be nice if they credited the info to the birmingham history forum and its members

lyn
My fault I should have made it clear when I spoke to the reporter. I'll make sure the forum gets a credit if there's a next time!

Mike - he doesn't seem to have been there for very long although I don't have access to many years on Ancestry.

Back