• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

if we look at this street view below the 3 demolished buildings are mobile base...all size xl and emtreme mobiles..blue nile restaurant still up and running..what i cant fathom out is mobile base is butted right up to the wall of the blue nile and extreme mobiles butted up again the tcom building..no gaps..so how come after demo we can see the glass and china sign on the blue nile wall and the other 2 signs on the tcom wall...just cant work it out unless the signs were there before those 3 demolished buildings were actually built...

lyn
My thoughts were that older buildings were set back from the pavement and newer additions were built up to the pavement at a later date. Probably been many changes but I was really surprised as these emerged today.

There was a James Stevens, variously described as hosier, laceist, and into haberdashery in 103-4 Bull St on directories 1855- He earlier was at 60 High St, moving in Sept 1851 and (if it is the same one) seems to have been described as a button chaser at 115 Constitution hill in 1845. By 1878m he is a linen draper in Great Barr St. Cannot find a J.R.Stevens, and would hav ethought that if he used full initials on the sign he would use it on adverts and directories

They say you learn something every day….the sign above the Stevens one has a few readable words but COLZA after seeds had me baffled but…
Colza oil or colza is a non-drying oil obtained from the seeds of rapeseed (Brassica napus subsp. napus.

They say you learn something every day….the sign above the Stevens one has a few readable words but COLZA after seeds had me baffled but…
Colza oil or colza is a non-drying oil obtained from the seeds of rapeseed (Brassica napus subsp. napus.
Later known as rapeseed oil, though different from that used now in cooking and usually just labelled "vegetable oil"

thanks brian.. those signs have been covered for many years i would say but if the mass demo of that area is going to carry on they wont be there for much longer...at least we have photos of them

lyn

At that time it was used as a a lighting oil, and is used as a lubricant , though I am not sure if it was sued as a lubricant at that time. That used now for edible purposes has been bred to have a different composition
Also advertising parraffin (extra r) and petroleum on that sign so the former fits well

It looks as though the gap (shown on the 1889 map) was filled by this building.

Attachments

• great-hampton-st-gap.jpg
    great-hampton-st-gap.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 17
  • gt-hampton-st-maps.jpg
    gt-hampton-st-maps.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 12
great bri i think its a good idea to get in touch with the media when we find these rare ghosts signs...its our history and should not be forgotten :)

lyn

They contacted me after seeing my post on the Jewellery Quarter Facebook page. Happy to spread the word! Cheers.
its great that the press is showing an interest brian maybe it will encourage other members of the public to keep their eyes open and report new ghost signs

lyn

It looks as though the gap (shown on the 1889 map) was filled by this building.
Frederick Restall Ltd. occupied these premises as listed in Kelly's:
1884 to 1892 No. 28
1895 to 1899 Nos. 28 & 29
1900 to 1908 Nos. 28 to 30
1912 to 1932 Nos. 28 to 31
1936 to 1967/1968 Nos. 27 to 33
In 1977 the shops were required for a factory extension.

So from humble beginnings in 1884 (or before?) with 1 shop, they gradually expanded along Great Hampton Street until they occupied 7 shops.
It seems likely that they were probably responsible for 'filling the gap' between Nos. 28 & 29 to link their shops.

More info for Frederick Restall:

Last edited:
1884 to 1892 No. 28

So from humble beginnings in 1884 (or before?) with 1 shop, they gradually expanded along Great Hampton Row until they occupied 7 shops.
It seems likely that they were probably responsible for 'filling the gap' between Nos. 28 & 29 to link their shops.

Still a going concern in Tyseley!

1884 to 1892 No. 28

So from humble beginnings in 1884 (or before?) with 1 shop, they gradually expanded along Great Hampton Row until they occupied 7 shops.

of course it come back to me now i remember seeing the frederick restall building many years ago when i worked in the jewellery quarter and to own furniture with the restall label on it was quite the done thing if you could afford it

lyn

Looks like there was at some stage tailors/outfitters at No. 26 (the building with the J. R. Stevens ghost sign) but no link whatsoever with J. R. Stevens himself. You would think that if he was advertising his shop at 104 Bull Street then it would be on the ghost sign.

Attachments

• 26-great-hampton-street-tailors.jpg
    26-great-hampton-street-tailors.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 7
If the firm had a shop and a tailoring workshop providing product only for themselves each on separate sites, then they would probably expect most queries to be aimed at the shop, and might not consider it necessary to include the workshop in Kellys. I have previously found addresses which I know were occupied by a firm but with only the main address being listed in Kellys

If the firm had a shop and a tailoring workshop providing product only for themselves each on separate sites, then they would probably expect most queries to be aimed at the shop, and might not consider it necessary to include the workshop in Kellys. I have previously found addresses which I know were occupied by a firm but with only the main address being listed in Kellys
I'm taking a real punt here but perhaps you could check. The badly damaged advert above the J R Stevens, I reckon the name at the top may be H Sutcliffe. Cheers.

In the 1884 Kellys Isherwood Sutcliffe was a colour maker at 27 Gt Hampton St
That works. I've looked at the photo now you've told me this and what I thought might be an H is an I to the right of what is the black outline edge of the ghost sign which I mistook for the left upright on an H. Wow 1884. I thought it said paints below and strangely colurs which appears to be misspelled. It might be colors the original Latin spelling of the modern colours however.

Last edited:
That works. I've looked at the photo now you've told me this and what I thought might be an H is an I to the right of what is the black outline edge of the ghost sign which I mistook tor the left upright on an H. Wow 1884. I thought it said paints below and strangely colurs which appears to be misspelled. It might be colors the original Latin spelling of the modern colours however.
well done brian and thanks mike and john now we are getting somewhere..those signs are seriously old

Back