• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Yes much better Janice. Andy’s photo gives the full 3D effect of the lettering. It shows it’s better preserved than I imagined from #1163. Nice addition. Viv.

Another set no longer visible on Streetview - picked up when looking for a "now" shot to go with SteveBHx's shot of 1 - 3 Hobmoor Road. This view is from around 2017.

Attachments

• 1-3 Hobmoor Road - ghost.JPG
    1-3 Hobmoor Road - ghost.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 17
Hi, I have found a very weathered ghost sign on the side of a terraced property on Birchfield Road, (Perry Barr/Lozells).
I can make out the words "builders and contractors" but struggling to decipher the rest.
Would anyone be able to shed any light on what the rest of the sign would have said - I'm really curious! :)
Thank you
Andrea

Attachments

• IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
It looks like j Archer 190 Albert road Handsworth. 190, Albert road is a building of two newish houses set back from the pavement, could have been a builders yard in the past. Alf.

Posts Moved tothis thread
From Kellys:
John Archer, builder, 190 Albert Road, Handsworth 1895 -1899.editions.
The 1892 edition shows a Little King st address
From 1900 edition the address was 198 Albert Road
Remember that date is publication date and probably refers to year before

thanks mike the sign is on the corner of hatfield road so it looks like the builders yard was not actually there...just an advert for it which is so often the case

lyn

It looks like j Archer 190 Albert road Handsworth. 190, Albert road is a building of two newish houses set back from the pavement, could have been a builders yard in the past. Alf.
Thank you for that, Alf.

In 1908 it was 198A and listed to W B & F T Archer builders - that is William Bennett and Frank Thomas
Thanks Janice, maybe Frank was John's son and the company expanding by that time.
Posts Moved tothis thread
From Kellys:
John Archer, builder, 190 Albert Road, Handsworth 1895 -1899.editions.
The 1892 edition shows a Little King st address
From 1900 edition the address was 198 Albert Road
Remember that date is publication date and probably refers to year before
Thanks Mikejee, lots of history there.
In 1908 it was 198A and listed to W B & F T Archer builders - that is William Bennett and Frank Thomas

if we look at this street view below the 3 demolished buildings are mobile base...all size xl and emtreme mobiles..blue nile restaurant still up and running..what i cant fathom out is mobile base is butted right up to the wall of the blue nile and extreme mobiles butted up again the tcom building..no gaps..so how come after demo we can see the glass and china sign on the blue nile wall and the other 2 signs on the tcom wall...just cant work it out unless the signs were there before those 3 demolished buildings were actually built...or maybe the top floors were added at a later date covering up the signs..either way i think these signs are very old

lyn

Back