• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

The house next door seems to be a much later build and is covering much of the original sign although it looks as though we are trying to interpret several overlaid signs. In 1921 Kelly's it was Albert Wiggin (pianaforte dealer). In 1932 Nos. 3 & 5 were William Haywood (dairy). I can't see where either of those fit in though to be honest.
When I zoomed in John, I thought I could see the remains of two signs as well. Thanks for this info, John - much appreciated.

Just for interest, while I was taking a photo of the ghost sign on Hampton Road, I also took a couple of the more obvious 'Wheelers' ghost sign as seen from Hampton Road and Slade Road. What used to be Wheelers on Short Heath Road (Erdington) has now become Huws Gray, so I thought this ghost sign probably has more significance now.

Attachments

• Wheelers ghost sign - as seen from Hampton Road.JPG
    Wheelers ghost sign - as seen from Hampton Road.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Wheelers - ghost sign - as seen from Slade Road.JPG
    Wheelers - ghost sign - as seen from Slade Road.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 18
The ice cream manufacturer applied for permission to use it for that purpose in 1949, (application for planning as purchaser). There are numerous applications up until the early 1960s - he seems to have only ever been given temporary permission for a fixed number of years. That said I think the sign predates that date so presumably refers to a previous occupant or to someone nearby advertising on that wall.
1616243449753.png

The ice cream manufacturer applied for permission to use it for that purpose in 1949, (application for planning as purchaser). There are numerous applications up until the early 1960s - he seems to have only ever been given temporary permission for a fixed number of years. That said I think the sign predates that date so presumably refers to a previous occupant or to someone nearby advertising on that wall.
View attachment 154762
This is so interesting Janice - thank you for this.

And we must remember of course that sometimes ghost signs refer to premises nearby or further down the road and not on the premise’s wall on which they’re painted. Viv.

And we must remember of course that sometimes ghost signs refer to premises nearby or further down the road and not on the premise’s wall on which they’re painted. Viv.
As you correctly say Viv the ad could be for anywhere, the only major business in Hampton Street was Wheelers Timber Merchants from around 1932 to 1955 and they were across the road from No. 5.
Having had a rethink (on what you said), I now think it says Top line SCRAP, Middle line CARS, Bottom line CHURCH Rd.
I think the whole sign was probably for Taronis on Aston Church Road and probably says SCRAP METAL & CARS, ASTON CHURCH Rd.
Of course this is only the latest sign there are others underneath which are illegible and will remain that way unfortunately.

I hadn't realised that, thanks Viv.
As you correctly say Viv the ad could be for anywhere, the only major business in Hampton Street was Wheelers Timber Merchants from around 1932 to 1955 and they were across the road from No. 5.
Having had a rethink (on what you said), I now think it says Top line SCRAP, Middle line CARS, Bottom line CHURCH Rd.
I think the whole sign was probably for Taronis on Aston Church Road and probably says SCRAP METAL & CARS, ASTON CHURCH Rd.
Of course this is only the latest sign there are others underneath which are illegible and will remain that way unfortunately.
Thanks John, looking at the sign again, and using a little imagination I can make out those words. I didn't think I would be able to find an answer on this one, but I think you have solved it - thanks again, Andrea.

Hi, I've found a ghost sign (revealed by a bill board being removed). Is there anyone that would be able to tell me the years J Dicks was trading please? It would give me an idea of the age of the ghost sign. The ghost sign is on Edwards Road, Erdington (on the crossroads with Station Road, Sutton Road, and Sutton New Road. I have attached a photo for information.
Thank you, Andrea.

Attachments

• ghost sign edwards road - resize.JPG
    ghost sign edwards road - resize.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 53
James Dicks is a grocer at Sutton road erdingtoj in the 1897 & 1899 Kellys. He is listed as a grocer at 22 High St Erdington from the 1900 till the 1908 edition From the 1910 till the 1924 edition he is at the same place as a confectioner, but has gone by the 1932 edition, though there is then a Frank Dicks ,tobaconist , at 195 high st erdington.

J. Dicks is at No. 22 from 1900 to at least 1921 (certainly not there in 1932), he started as a grocer and then changed to a confectioners shop. Interesting to note that in 1897 there was a Henry Dicks (baker) on the High Street but they don't give a property number.

J. Dicks is at No. 22 from 1900 to at least 1921 (certainly not there in 1932), he started as a grocer and then changed to a confectioners shop. Interesting to note that in 1897 there was a Henry Dicks (baker) on the High Street but they don't give a property number.

There was also, in May 1889, a J. Dicks, Summer Lane, Erdington.

James Dicks is a grocer at Sutton road erdingtoj in the 1897 & 1899 Kellys. He is listed as a grocer at 22 High St Erdington from the 1900 till the 1908 edition From the 1910 till the 1924 edition he is at the same place as a confectioner, but has gone by the 1932 edition, though there is then a Frank Dicks ,tobaconist , at 195 high st erdington.
Thank you ever so much for this information.

There was also, in May 1889, a J. Dicks, Summer Lane, Erdington.
Thank you very much for this extra information. Gives me some history to my little find.

Hi, I've found a ghost sign (revealed by a bill board being removed). Is there anyone that would be able to tell me the years J Dicks was trading please? It would give me an idea of the age of the ghost sign. The ghost sign is on Edwards Road, Erdington (on the crossroads with Station Road, Sutton Road, and Sutton New Road. I have attached a photo for information.
Thank you, Andrea.
what a fantastic find well done andrea and keep em peeled

lyn

Thought I would leave this here for interest. I spotted this ghost sign whilst travelling down Pershore Road at the weekend. It's aged well!
C Carthew - Ladies & Gents Tailor - ghost sign - on the corner of Pershore Road and Twyning Road.

Attachments

• C Carthew - tailor - ghost sign.JPG
    C Carthew - tailor - ghost sign.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Twynings Road sign (off Pershore Road).JPG
    Twynings Road sign (off Pershore Road).JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 24
Many thanks Andy. A great example ! Love the 3D lettering of Ladies & Gents. Must have been covered over in the past. It’s nice and crisp still. Shall move your post to the Ghost Signs thread.

Viv.
Edit. Post #1228 now moved to this thread.

Many thanks Andy. A great example ! Love the 3D lettering of Ladies & Gents. Must have been covered over in the past. It’s nice and crisp still. Shall move your post to the Ghost Signs thread.

Viv.
Edit. Post #1228 now moved to this thread.
Thanks Viv, I had a look for a ghost sign thread to see if I could put it straight in there myself. But still learning how to maneuvre around the site, so any help appreciated! thank you !
Andrea.

Back