• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Good find Ell before it totally disappears. How this building changed in use over time ...... Presume the (demolished) sign is part of that in the second image below. Viv.

image.jpeg

I saw it from the 45 heading to town, but was on the wrong side of the bus, I later got another 45 back to Stirchley to take my photos of it. It might date to the 1950s or '60s.

I can remember going with my mother to the shop to have them recharged. Actually i think they exchanged them for a charged one, rather than charged the one that was taken.

Thought I'd found a good book on ebay - "Fading ads of Birmingham", but after looking at details realised it was Birmingham US, not Birmingham UK

Former Co-op building at the junction of Aldridge Road and Old Oscott Lane. Note 'BCS' stone on the parapet. Viv.image.jpeg

Thought I'd found a good book on ebay - "Fading ads of Birmingham", but after looking at details realised it was Birmingham US, not Birmingham UK

not to worrry mike...a fews years back i was given a book on birmingham...great i thought until i realised it was the usa birmingham:D

Two spotted along Stratford Road (via Google Streetview). These are both almost opposite Inglewood Road. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The old Municipal Bank building on Broad Street used to have some distinctive key motifs on the front of the building. Has the Council plonked a 'Forward' plaque in their place. Or are the original key plaques still hiding behind the pillars ? Now I'm hopeful that the Municipal Bank key plaques are either still there or have been carefully preserved somewhere and the Forward sign(s) haven't been simply glued over the top. Viv.

image.jpeg

I remember a key logo like that at our local TSB bank, Pype Hayes. It was etched on glass. Wonder what happened to that??

They are still on the street view but it is 2014!

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-5_11-38-3.png
    upload_2017-11-5_11-38-3.png
    145 KB · Views: 17
Think that answers it Ell. I've zoomed in and can just about make it out. The two plaques on the end are the 'Forward' and the two either side of the doors are the Municipal Bank keys. Thanks Ell. Viv.

The history of the bank, the key logo in particular;
https://www.bmbhistory.org.uk/bmb-history_198.htm

The bank has its own thread:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-municipal-bank.43428/

I believe I mentioned this here before, some older Birmingham tramcars had the key logo on the sliding doors between the driving cab and passenger section. As the bank, apparently the only municipal bank in the country, was formed to support the costs of WW1 I suggest it was the older cars.

Last edited:
Think that answers it Ell. I've zoomed in and can just about make it out. The two plaques on the end are the 'Forward' and the two either side of the doors are the Municipal Bank keys. Thanks Ell. Viv.

I took some of them in 2009 Viv

In 2013 I took these foundation stone photos

Back