• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Not sure when they were in Woodbridge Road but they are listed in the 1960s phone book round the corner at 136 Alcester Road. At least I assume it is the same firm.
Just found them in 1948 phone book at 136 Alcester Road and High Street Erdington. Shufflebotham Stores Grocers.
Entry from 1930 phone book
1578518637801.png

Last edited:
A bit of digging via google came up with an article on Ghost Signs with the following info:

138 Alcester Rd., corner of Woodbridge Rd. (now Cafephilia) This impressive building, originally with an ornate dome (as seen in the picture) was built in 1893 as Moseley House and occupied by T.Hadley & Son, general grocers selling tea, coffee, wines & spirits, fruits and vegetables and brushes. However it is most fondly remembered, from 1907 onwards, as the premises of Shufflebotham's, a high-class and well-respected establishment selling stores, grocery & provisions. Verity Montague-Smith recalls riding her pony to Shufflebotham's as a child, and tethering it outside while she visited the store (1940s). Shufflebothams closed in 1972.
Looking to the right down Woodbridge Road there is a garage immediately before Moseley Police Station, and above the vehicle entrance to the garage can be seen a ghost sign bearing the name Shufflebotham's Stores, uncovered as recently as October 2016 when the garage's fascia board was replaced (see picture). This indicates that the garage premises were once owned by Shufflebotham's, possibly for use as a depot.

There were photos but am unsure about whether there is copyright so I am posting the link to a pdf file (so I am not sure it will work).
http://moseley-society.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Moseley-Businesses-Ghost-Signs-REV2017.pdf

Not sure when they were in Woodbridge Road but they are listed in the 1960s phone book round the corner at 136 Alcester Road. At least I assume it is the same firm.
Just found them in 1948 phone book at 136 Alcester Road and High Street Erdington. Shufflebotham Stores Grocers.
Entry from 1930 phone book
View attachment 140516
That's interesting Janice. I wonder where they were in the High Street and Chester Road. I'll have to look when I go to the library next.

Have just been informed that The Hive in Vittoria Street in the JQ has an art exhibition from 2nd - 14th March of works by Jemma Gunning and Tracey Thorne called The Fading City which is based on Ghost Signs around the city.

Went to the exhibition mentioned above. There were about 20 pictures some of which I liked more than others (as is always the way). I took this photo as I couldn't work out what the ghost sign on the end of the building once read. I'm sure someone will work it out.

FC1.jpg

Lindyloo pointed out this sign in post #124 on this thread. 22433438-4A20-4D02-80D7-BA7C9610608E.jpeg
Below is an earlier image of the business with a better view of the relief cow above the alleyway. Marshall’s was at 530 Moseley Road and the alleyway was for a butcher’s business. Don’t know if the building in the alleyway was the butcher’s shop or a slaughterhouse or both. The date of the b&w image is unknown. Viv.

FDCF0105-96EA-4101-9499-C90F8CDD446F.jpeg

I thought the same Nico.

Looking more closely it appears to be a completely open front to the premises, like you’d see in premises around wholesale markets. It suggested to me a wholesale business. I think there’s someone standing at the front of the premises. Can’t really take a shot at a date. Maybe we someone could find something from business records. Viv.

I thought the same Nico.

Looking more closely it appears to be a completely open front to the premises, like you’d see in premises around wholesale markets. It suggested to me a wholesale business and wondered if they had a shop front. I think there’s someone standing at the front of the premises. Viv.
Birmingham has been a very diverse city though for a long time.

There was a butcher there at 532 back to about 1881 (when it was numbered 283) , the first butcher being Henry Barber. Before then it is not listed, so was probably not a shop, or not built.

Lindyloo pointed out this sign in post #124 on this thread. View attachment 145597
Below is an earlier image of the business with a better view of the relief cow above the alleyway. Marshall’s was at 530 Moseley Road and the alleyway was for a butcher’s business. Don’t know if the building in the alleyway was the butcher’s shop or a slaughterhouse or both. The date of the b&w image is unknown. Viv.

View attachment 145598
Wouldn't the big X indicate the open/gated alley

530 moseley road.JPG

Can not find any oriental-sounding occupants. Henry Barber does appear in the court records when in 1882 an employee stole 8.5 lbs beef and in 1884 when an employee was putting money he received as payment for meat into his own pocket.
The two maps below show that the archway entrance leads to the back of the shop on the right (532) and not Marshalls
map c1890 showing 532(later 632) moseley road.jpgmap c1951 showing 532 moseley road.jpg

Looking at 532 (in red) on the map posted by Mike does show a large L shaped building. The entrance to which is gained by the open arch as Mike said. Whether than is connected with 532 it is not easy to say. This is another item needed more investigation. :laughing:

My guess is that originally the arch gave access to the abattoir at the back. t must have been something to do with cattle, and for many years the 532 site was a butchers. I think it is reasonable to associate the two

I think that was quite common in the 19th century
I wonder if he was a forerunner of George Barber? Wholesale grocer. My grandad worked for him delivering. The depot was in Hillfields, Coventry. Grandad's runs took him to Cleobury Mortimer and Hampton in Arden. I used to go with him sometimes in the cab. Perched on a rug on the metal hump over the gearbox. The rug was because it got very hot. Barber's as everyone called them's clients seemed to be far flung boarding schools, hospitals and farms.
The tea and coffee shop looks like a lantern we have. Imitation, but I saw one in France at a friends, from Egypt and in a Berber restaurant there too. I had a Maroccan neighbour whose house inside was like this. The doorways were pointed in the middle tapering in, thus no doors, and this design continued all round the picture rails.

Back