• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Ghost sign on this shop on the corner of Lodge Road and Station Road in Knowle, Solihull. Bit hard to read / make out. But says Hollands Garage.

The walk from Dorridge Station to Knowle was ok, apart from the weather. Coming back was caught in a hail storm! And I thought it would be dry today! Think there are buses, but only saw a couple, but not on Station Road.

yes jan although that is a tin advert i think...will have to have look for the wall painted ones in my old photos when i have time...

Yes Spratt's were the folk. But it seems enamelled signs usually had the dog looking to the right. whereas the wall painting it is looking to the left. I wonder if that was a prescribed format?

Hi Lyn you may be interested in this photo it primarily shows the two shops attached to the gothic pub the cafe we called Bills and the Newsagent next door which i think became also a hairdresser's.
Hope it is of interest
Rgds Norman
Used that cafe a lot years ago,thanks for posting.

When modern fascias are removed much of a building’s history can be revealed. One of these shops was once a Music Centre. I expect it sold sheet music, but perhaps it later installed listening booths to hear the latest pop records in the 1950s and 60s?

Viv.

Attachments

• 535622B6-5E03-4000-8AE5-D68C6122EA29.jpeg
    535622B6-5E03-4000-8AE5-D68C6122EA29.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 52
The Spillers business was defuct and expanded by nestle in 1997.. and the Winalot brand was extended to include a range of dry and tinned dogfoods and snacks. .....we have a kitkat....the dog has a quick cr*p

The former B’ham Co-op premises (1912) on Rookery Road. The modern view gives the address as 204A although I doubt this was the original number. I wondered if this was an important shop being stand alone (and possibly covering two floors ?) Viv.

Attachments

• 97BF5669-F915-4F98-8574-EB0C104B44F3.jpeg
    97BF5669-F915-4F98-8574-EB0C104B44F3.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 31
The former B’ham Co-op premises (1912) on Rookery Road. The modern view gives the address as 204A although I doubt this was the original number. I wondered if this was an important shop being stand alone (and possibly covering two floors ?) Viv.
Co-Op shops often had Assembly Rooms or offices from which the 'divi' would be paid so this could explain the second floor. The second floor would also have the staff cloakrooms.

Viv
The 1913 Kellys lists it as 206 rookery road

How long has it been a slot game / gambling place? Cashpot Amusements, has it been there since the 1980s?

Also Crimpers International was recently let again as a Falafel place. Falafel Munch. The shop in between was a newsagent but is now Digbeth Kitchen.

I’m probably pushing the boundaries of a ghost sign definition with this one. But I suspect the holes seen on the House of Fraser pillar on the right of the composite photo are the holes which held the “Rackhams” letters in place. Viv

5E278FEE-E586-47CA-AE96-80AE5A8A0768.jpeg
A559B7FA-C4E0-41DC-AF1B-1180794FD8CF.jpeg

Back