• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Hughes, Wheelmakers

G

Geoff Dowling

I would like to find out about George Hughes, wheelmakers, of New Town Row Aston, The factory was there from about 1890 - 1940 :?: They had a large bicycle wheel outside as a sign, I would love to find a photo of this factory.

George Hughes wheels

Hi geoff,
I don't remember the factory you asked about- before my time, but in the sixties I worked for a company in Elmfield Avenue, Pype Hayes called Hughes's Wheels and I think there's a good chance it could be the same people as it was a modern factory at the time and they could have re-located there from the old factory. The last time I checked they were still there so it may be worth giving them a ring

Hughes Big Wheel

I lived next door to Huges, our house was right up against the wall of the place and in the bombing we moved 6 doors away to another cellar,
One night there wa a very heavy bombing raid and after we went back next morning there wasn't a door or window left in the place.
We also had large cracks in the walls and I could see steam rising from machinery due to the damping down of of the fires.
Our pet canary lived through that lot and we had him for years after. I was about 6 at the time.
By the way we never got to live in the house again the landlord moved us 2 doors down and after the repairs a new family moved in.
I sadly dont have any photo of the place :(

Geo Hughes..wheels

I think I maybe able to help...my grandfathers family helped start the factory,and somewhere I have a book of the history it:)....there were a lot of Thursfields worked there for a long time. The big wheel was last seen somewhere near the canal by Castle Vale estate...my Mum(Joan Thursfield) may have a photo of it

Hughes

I lived next door to Huges, our house was right up against the wall of the place and in the bombing we moved 6 doors away to another cellar,
One night there wa a very heavy bombing raid and after we went back next morning there wasn't a door or window left in the place.
We also had large cracks in the walls and I could see steam rising from machinery due to the damping down of of the fires.
Our pet canary lived through that lot and we had him for years after. I was about 6 at the time.
By the way we never got to live in the house again the landlord moved us 2 doors down and after the repairs a new family moved in.
I sadly dont have any photo of the place :(

Do you know the Thursfields?...they are my Mums family and helped start the wheel factory

Hi Susan, that name is very familier to me either though my Mom or people who lived near to us. I'm thinking family any George's in the family:)

Hughes Wheels

Hi and thanks for replying....probably!...the Thursfields were a bigger family than I thought....my Mum is out at the moment so I cant check ....what is your connection?...Grandad's sister is still alive,but her memory is a bit vague...as we all get eh?

Hughes

Silly billy me....just re read your posting...will get used to this,might have to sit with a pen and paper!
Tell me your story if you dont mind,I'm sure my Mum would love to know

Not much really I lived in St Stephens Place Newtown Row opposite us in fact just over the wall Victoria Place Ashford St and we had about 10 members of our family in Victoria Place & Ashford Street.

Would Mom know that place Records show that My Grandmother & Aunt lived around there 1920s

Last edited:
Hughes Wheels

Hi Susan, that name is very familier to me either though my Mom or people who lived near to us. I'm thinking family any George's in the family:)

Hi.....Mum couldnt remember any George's....her uncles were Lewis,Archie...names coming back into fashion:)..did you say where you lived?..I am on another thread so excuse me if forgot...Mum was really inrerested in your story and remebered the bike...she said a penny farthing?

Geo Hughes..wheels

So you did..sorry ..I have yet to get used to this system and cant always remember what was said....I get so excited with all the info I can tell MU Mum!....

I know how you feel Susan,but now if I am back on a certain thread I always go back the the first letter it takes time but stops me getying shouted at. :D

Geo Hughes..wheels

Its sometimes dificult to find the first letter and also I stop and read everyboy else's too...its all so interesting.

I don't remember the factory you asked about- before my time, but in the sixties I worked for a company in Elmfield Avenue, Pype Hayes called Hughes's Wheels

I'm not sure if the factory Jerry mentioned is the same one, but I remember a Wheel Factory that used to back onto the canal near the Tyburn House which had a large rotating wheel that was visible from the Kingsbury Road. I've got an idea they were George Huges.

I'm not sure if the factory Jerry mentioned is the same one, but I remember a Wheel Factory that used to back onto the canal near the Tyburn House which had a large rotating wheel that was visible from the Kingsbury Road. I've got an idea they were George Huges.

That was the one,I think...so did they move. The booklet I have gives the address as Edgemond Ave B'ham 24 on the first page (are they still there anybody who lives localally?) but inside the booklet is says "so here we are at Tyburn"
They had started In George Thursfields shed,moved to Newtown Row Aston..."towards the end of the 19th century the works at St Stephens St sported a sign..a big wheel.facing Newtown Row..." G Hughes bought out The Ariel Pram works in Balsall Heath...eventually moving to Tyburn..was the Edgemond Ave address just offices? I am sure some one can help

I used to go George Hughes factory around Tyburn regularly from 1973 to repair their forktruck but cant remember exact address,can anyone confirm address ?

From 1972 Kellys:
Hughes Geo. H. Ltd. wheel mfrs. Edgemond av 24.O21-S51 1183

Mike

HI GUYS
I knew of a young george wood and there family whom ived in park lane aston around in the early 1950,s
als a family of jenning whom had the news agents and abit further up was the Mc crae family
way back in the 50.s but i don,t think there is any connection ;
best wishes Astonian ;;

Hi, my name is David Hines. I worked at G.H.Hughes In Erdington from 1996 to 1999. It went into liquidation in 1999 and everyone was made redundant. I done many jobs in there, one of them trye moulding which was a very hard job. It was very hot, and dirty and we had to take saline solution so we didn't lose body salt. See below the moulding shop, or as we called it, The Ratios

Attachments

• 420150727_385870450592534_1095093364731710641_n.jpg
    420150727_385870450592534_1095093364731710641_n.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi, my name is David Hines. I worked at G.H.Hughes In Erdington from 1996 to 1999. It went into liquidation in 1999 and everyone was made redundant. I done many jobs in there, one of them trye moulding which was a very hard job. It was very hot, and dirty and we had to take saline solution so we didn't lose body salt. See below the moulding shop, or as we called it, The Ratios
George H Hughes was founded in 1878, but the illustrations and information here are from a 1914 catalogue. Famously the makers of perambulator wheels, the company made a wide range of rubber tyred steel wheels from 5 inches diameter furniture casters at 7 shillings each, up to 48 inches diameter rickshaw wheels at 180 shillings per pair.
The company also made 3 wheeled invalid chairs with wicker seats and a small range of children's pedal operated tricycles costing from 64 shillings up to 67 shillings.
Children's toy motor cars were also catered for as they offered sets of 4 wheels with 2 axles and all the pedal gear from 14 shillings per set.
PA739

Attachments

• HUGHES factory.jpg
    HUGHES factory.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 2
  • HUGHES trike.jpg
    HUGHES trike.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 2
Back