• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Clay - Music Centre

Thank you for the info Spencer lets hope it stays upright for many years to come now. The friends do a brilliant job and are always fundraising to help restore the graves.

Spencer how proud you must be that your grandparents were such talented and accomplished musicians, so sad that your grandmother died so young. Can anyone remember the name of the music shop on Alum Rock Road next to Southalls? It would have been opposite Farndon Road, I'm sure it was still there in the 70's.

Macca

My brother had sincipation lessons somewhere on Broad street. Could have been there?. Jean. [Excuse the spelling please].

Re George Clay.

I took piano accordion lessons at his music school in the early 50s, at that time he had some rooms over a music shop called Yardleys, if my memory is correct this was in Constitution Hill ( the road that ran parallel with Snow Hill,) my teacher was a lovely young lady named Pamela Deakin sadly no longer with us.

She became ranked No 8 in the world and used to appear on radio programmes such as workers playtime,I often was tutored by George himself, I believe he had worked at the Birmid factory prior to this.

After the Yardleys school he took some space in Broad Street I think alongside a Motor dealer but I may be wrong about this, I went to several accordion events with his school some in London and one I remember well was in Coventry where I was fortunate enough to win the under 16 solo section of a competition, I still have the little cup and cherish it fondly.

My first (grown up) accordion was a Goudini italian 120 base, which George demonstrated to my father who was paying for it, I have lots and lots of happy memories of the George Clay musc school, it was after this that I remember him opening his music shop in Broad Street.

I am now 69 but love the memories, I hope someone finds this of interest.

What lovely memories frankbck I have always wanted to play an instrument but sadly never did. I think my mom had bad memories of piano lessons. My uncle had an accordion and I remember he put it on me once and I could hardly stand up!

hi fat fingers;
you are quite correct they left broad street and went to snow hill and openend up stairs for there drums selling and
try and testing and you choose if you want to buy or not ;
whilst on the subject of clays ; i been watching the thread about the un named thearter on broad street ; and i notice lencoop
saying he thought it was part of the BBC studios its quite possible be true for any body remembers clays ;
The BBC studios was directly at the side of claytons at the rear there was a opening and pathe that you walked up to the BBC studios
it was a couple of storyies high and the logo was above it stating the BBC; soif they was doing a weekly series there it could possibly been a studio for them in which they used as well for that programe as it was less than half a mile from them up the broad street on the same side so i would be inclined to go along with len on that and thats what it was as soulman went on ;
claytons was right in front of the beeb and later went to snow hill and it was next to a firm called walker and if i remember corectly they made bike sadles bst wishes astonian

Re George Clay.

I took piano accordion lessons at his music school in the early 50s, at that time he had some rooms over a music shop called Yardleys, if my memory is correct this was in Constitution Hill ( the road that ran parallel with Snow Hill,) my teacher was a lovely young lady named Pamela Deakin sadly no longer with us.

She became ranked No 8 in the world and used to appear on radio programmes such as workers playtime,I often was tutored by George himself, I believe he had worked at the Birmid factory prior to this.

After the Yardleys school he took some space in Broad Street I think alongside a Motor dealer but I may be wrong about this, I went to several accordion events with his school some in London and one I remember well was in Coventry where I was fortunate enough to win the under 16 solo section of a competition, I still have the little cup and cherish it fondly.

My first (grown up) accordion was a Goudini italian 120 base, which George demonstrated to my father who was paying for it, I have lots and lots of happy memories of the George Clay musc school, it was after this that I remember him opening his music shop in Broad Street.

In The50s I also took Saxaphone lessons in the same rooms over the Yardleys shop. I remember the noise of all the instruments, Happy days, John Crump OldBrit Parker. Co USA

Does anyone have any information of a music company called George Clay, Music Centre, Broad Street, Birmingham? Mabz

Hi Mayfield, I remember George Clay in Broad Street during the early 60's. It used to be part of the 'tour' that me and my mate Chris used to do every Saturday - Jones & Crossland, Woodroffes, Yardleys, Musical Exchange and George Clays. I believe he used to make his own amplifiers 'Rigby Sound' but that may not be true. We used to spend hours just visiting these shops and playing the instruments (guitars mainly) and meeting up with other members of the many budding groups there were in Brum during those days. Happy days.

Re George Clay.

Hiya Frank, my dad bought me an accordion from George Clay's around 1958, it was quite small compared to some, in a beautiful Red marble. I never could master it and later swapped it with a friend for a guitar (with a broken string)
I often wonder how much it would have cost, I could kick myself now!!

Hi I have recently joined this forum and noticed this thread about George Clay Music Centre. George Clay was my father and sadly passed away in January 1994. It is correct that the shop moved to Small brook Queensway, when Broad Street was being regenerated. Just to let people know, he did not go bankrupt, but sold the business as he retired due to ill health. I was always told that dad was on the daytime TV programme Lunchbox? It would be great if anyone had any information or memories of this.

Hello Sharon,

And welcome to the Forum. Many members here had dealings with your father and his business - I personally bought a set of Ajax Vibes (Boosey & Hawkes) from Cecil Viles, who was your father's manager at that time (1960). I moved to Dorset in 1961, but can't recollect your father's appearance on Lunch Box prior to then, though I didn't watch every programme and it may well have been after I left the area. I understand that Gerry Allen's drummer, Lionel Rubin, is still alive and living, I believe, in Leicestershire. He may well recall something. I'll see if I can dig up some more information tomorrow as I am just off out in a minute.

Kind regards,

Maurice

HI ALL
You can still find a george clay operating here in worcestershire city down a side street selling the same instruments
i had to look twice and i thought i would put it n the forum that was a couple of months ago; but like most things i never got around to it
just like bill landowne baths are here out in worc; they have to be there sibbling surely ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Maurice, all

Many thanks for feedback. I have a few mementoes of dad's in the loft, I was always told he worked on Lunchbox but nothing to verify so will be good to find out more. Many thanks for links. I will check them out.

Happy New Year

Sharon

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked in George Clay's music shop when it was on Broad Street, I was only there for a few weeks but I can recall Cecil Viles playing his trumpet most days in the shop, there was another sales assistant there also at the time, a few years older than me, and a few years younger than Mr Viles, in the back office was a lady secretary, and George Clay, most days George Clay senior which I would say was Sharons grandfather and her uncle would visit the shop, I can recall going to the bank with the weekly taking while in the company of the elder George Clay, we went together to protect each other...me a 16 year old and him in his 70s I expect.....I will be honest here, I found it very boring it wasn't very busy and the days dragged plus I had to work Saturdays, I was told by the brother that I had to paint some shelving at one stage, told him no I wasn't going to do it, he said he can make me, so next day I stayed in bed and never returned, this was in 1969 while George and his family were in America, he sent me a postcard from there showing the USA Navy Fleet, he did along with his brother who's name I cannot remember come to my house and asked me why I left, I wasn't in at the time, but my nan gave them both a cup of tea and told them about being ask to paint the shelves.....she was told they were only joking, but I was glad to leave, wages were poor.......the people were okay, just the wages and working Saturdays......

Hi Astonlad,

I agree that Broad Street was not a busy shop. Let's face it, musicians don't buy new instruments every week, so it's only things like drum accessories, sax and clarinet reeds, and that sort of thing. I seems that if there was a big sale to be made, Cecil always dealt with it. I think I went there for my vibes because they were the local Boosey & Hawkes agents for percussion, and in those days there was only Premier or Boosey & Hawkes to choose from as far as vibes were concerned. Neither Musser nor Deagan (now absorbed into Yamaha) were being imported from the States at that time.

Maurice

Hi Sharon,

I have read this posting with interest - I can indeed confirm that you Dad was on Lunchbox with Noele Gordon - as my Mum was on it with him too!! I have been trying and trying for years to try and see if there was any footage, in fact I have now contacted the Central archives as per someone suggested earlier to see if they know of any in existence.

Mum was in George Clay's Accordion Band and they were all on Lunchbox together - she worked with George at his shop for years, I remember him very well too when he used to visit us when I was younger. Mum taught accordion as well as working as his secretary (possibly the lady Aston Lad saw in the back of the shop back in 1969).

You will remember her - Val Wood - she said she lost your contact details and is so pleased that I found this site.

She can probably answer most questions anyone has about Cecil, George or the shop back in the days!! I remember Cecil and the trumpet stories well! I got my first guitar from George Clay shop and still have it now, it is over 30 years old now.

Sharon, please could you get in touch and let me have your contact details, Mum would love to get in touch :) I will advise the administrator of the list to give you my email address as I'm not sure if you can send private emails to members.

Thanks

Alison

Hi Sharon,
Your Dad (George Clay) was a great Entertainer and an excellent showman, having entertained during the war years and later on he made radio broadcasts. In 1960 he appeared on the ATV Lunch Box programme with Noele Gordon. He was teaching her to play the Accordion which was a six week course and he appeared every Thursday on TV giving her a weekly lesson. He also had a Ladies Accordion Band, who were housewives learning to play the accordion and who also appeared on the Lunchtime show with him. I too appeared on the show on two occasions playing solo. The Lunch Box programmes were televised at the ATV Studios which were at that time in Aston Road North, Birmingham. George had many Accordion Schools around the Midlands at that time and he loaned pupils a small Accordion for a trial period of six weekly lessons and if they showed an interest after the six weeks, they would then buy their own instrument and continue with lessons. It was an excellent way for pupils to begin as they did not have to buy an instrument initially, only if they showed enough interest after the six weeks trial period, did they buy their own instrument and continue with music lessons. He had Music Schools in Walsall, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Bath, Bristol, Worcester and many more areas, the main school of course being in Broad Street, Birmingham. His Accordion Band competed in the All Britain Champion Accordion Contest in 1954, 1955 and 1956 which was held in London and gained first place, he also had quite a few duet and solo pupils competing and they too gained first place awards. He was an excellent teacher and musician. He began teaching the Accordion in Studios which were above Yardleys Music Shop at the bottom of Snow Hill. In the late 1950's he opened a shop in Broad Street which he called "The Midlands Accordion Centre" purely selling Accordions and had music studios a few doors away up the road above the Philip Fyne Motor Showrooms. Later he introduced other instruments for sale and the business became "The George Clay Music Centre" where many well known musicians came to buy their instruments. His business was very successful indeed but sadly he eventually in his latter years had to retire because of ill health. He most certainly did not go bankrupt. I was both Secretary and Music Teacher for George and we had some very talented pupils. If you have any more questions Sharon, I will see if I can answer them. I have not used this Forum before so am not sure about how to go about sending e-mails to you but hope we can keep in touch. All the best, Val (Wood)

RE George Clay Music Centre

Hi, I worked in the office of Georges shop for about two yrs. in the early 60s. Before this I had accordion lessons with an accordionist tutor named Johnny Bishton at Clays studios. I have quite a few Accordion medasl and certificates. I went to an accordion festival at Leicester (I think it was) and did a duet with a girl called Tina Howarth. I probably have Accordion School sheet music with Georges pic.on the front in my loft. When I left school George asked me to work for him.

I remember Cecil Viles in the shop and two younger ones. One a sax player named Maurice Brotherton and a Graham who I think played guitar. Trevor Emeny from the Mansells shop worked in there quite often.

Georges sister Katrina also worked in the office. At one time she was with someone called Stewart Sapcote (I am not sure if she married him). George Clay Senior also visited the office and Georges wife Kitty. There was a Mr Jackson who worked in there some days - a trumpet player I think.

A few young people came and left the office while I was there. A Jenny Duprez, Alexis Houchin and a Josie Kirby.

There was someone who taught drums at the studios. One of his names was Norman but cant remember if this was his first or last name,

Denny Lane from Denny Lane and the Diplomats often came in the shop. He went on to be with the Moody Blues and then Paul McCartneys Wings.

The shop was next to the BBC studios and just up the road from the register office. This was the second Clays shop in Broad Street. When I first started it was another shop further up the road.

When visiting B'ham. I often wonder what happened to the shop and the people who worked there so I found this site.........

Hi Petals,
You are quite correct, George Clay Accordion Centre was the first shop in Broad Street, selling purely Accordions at that time, before moving a bit further up the road next to the BBC Studios changing the name to George Clay Music Centre. The first shop had Studios above the shop which is where I first began to teach. I gave up playing and teaching in 1959 when I gave birth to our first son. This would be roughly about the time when you started working there. I started again after two years and resumed teaching and also worked during the day in the office at the back of the second shop. I remember John Bishton very well and his wife Maida, also Terry Hale, Bob Stevens, Henry Twigg (who I still have contact with), also Ron Beecham (who sadly passed away a while ago) and of course Pamela Deikin who also sadly is no longer with us. Also I remember well Cecil Viles, Graham, Mike and Trevor Emeny. I know Katrina of course and she did marry Stewart Sapcote but I haven't seen Katrina for years, last time was at George's funeral. Mr. Clay Senior was lovely and so was his wife Mrs. Clay. George married Kitty and they had a daughter Sharon but I have not received a reply from Sharon yet. I played in George's Accordion Bands and also became one of his teachers. I must have seen you Petals at some time, our paths must surely have crossed. Those were very interesting times which I remember well with great fondness.

Back