• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gameson cycles

Claribel

master brummie
Can anyone tell me anything about Gameson cycles, I think they were made in Aston somewhere.many thanks Clive

Hi Clive,
I once owned a Gameson track frame that I used to ride on Salford Park cycle track,colour was red,but as it was so long ago 1950s, I'm afraid I cannot remember where I bought or what I paid for it. well made though.
Sorry I cannot be of help
Dennis

Thanks Nigel and Dennis,

My interest is I remember Gameson cycle frames being sold in Dykes cycle shop in Winson Green Road in the late 40s early 50s. And one day my father took me to see an old friend named Alf ?? in Aston somewhere, that he used to work with at New Hudson cycles and Alf was then working at the company that made Gameson frames. My father was at that time working in Coventry at Coventry Eagle as a frame maker.

Hi Clive

what do you want to know about Gameson frames
Bill Gameson was our father we are three sons who all live in Redditch the factory was in gt brook st aston.:)

I bought a Gameson cycle frame for my then girlfriend around 1948-1949. My wife still has it. It was of the then not common "lugless" costruction, all the frame joints being carefully filed to fit and brazed together without the usual socketed lugs. The result was a very strong and lightweight frame. I cannot now remember very much about the premises, but if it was a shop it was a very small one! I have a hazy recollection of visiting a house in Aston.

Tony

Have just found the items about Billy Gameson. The first quality cycle that Tommy Godwin, double bronze medal winner at the 1948 London Olympics had, was built up using a track frame built for him by Billy Gameson. A picture of Tommy on that machine on the Paris track in 1947 appears on the ClassicLightweight web. In the early 1950`s Billy built a special road frame for Tommy bearing the number 234. Tommy has given me this frame which I am about to refurbish. I wonder if any of Bill Gamesons sons have any information on dating this frame more accurately?.

Hi Your wife still have the Gameson, I would love to see a photo of it, I owned and raced on one in the 50s Thanks John Crump oldBrit

HI CLARTIBELL
It was the late fiftys and very early 60 the dykes family bussiness for there fantastic expensive bikes on winson green rd set up shop
it was a small double fronted shop more or less just facing the smiuths arms pub on winson green rd just short of the number 11 bus stop going to handworth direction
mr dyke had a good collection of racing bikes and he certainly had a good loking daughter whom i knew personaly as soon as he moved in she looked like one of panns people pop dancers with the wearingof the lates dezigners clothes just like thre latest dezigner bikes sjhe was a friend of my girl friend named yasmin whom was a coupe of doors away from her shop
selling ladies clothes and baby wear her name was yasmin and she was also the friend of mr dykes bikes yasmin clothing shop on winson green rd
facing peel street but i do not think they stayed to long because we all thought that he was in the wrong area for selling expensive bike and that really meant
that his cycles was top of the range and way out of the local commutity to buy those were the days claribell best wishes astonian

Hi Astonian, I remember Dykes cycle shop very well as I used to live in Wellington St, as well as the bikes and bike frames that he sold he also had a section of his window just for Dinkey Toys, used to stand outside the window and just look and wish that I had enough money to buy one. I also remember Yasmin's dress shop looked like a nice shop but I never went in.
My interest in Gameson frames was that my father used to work for the Coventry Eagle cycles,as a cycle frame maker he used to get a lift from outside the Smiths Arms at 06.30 every morning. Before working there he worked for BSA and before that The New Hudson cycle factory. He had a friend Alf Shuck that he used to work with at BSA and one day he went to see him and took me with him and he worked for Gameson. Your right when you said Dykes sold very expensive bikes and way out of my league but he always seemed busy. Oh I dont remember his daughter but I do remember his son.

I have Gameson cycle frame cannot see where the number is any one know where they put it would love to know it's history

Is it not under the part of the frame where the cranks are fitted. Ashamed that proper name evades me (bottom Bracket?).

I rode and raced a Gameson for years, it was a 21" frame light blue with dark blue panels my Midland C&AC club colours. I THINK? the # was under the bottom bracket. www.classiclightweights.co.uk has a page o Gamesons. I would love to see a photo of your bike, maybe its mine? send me a message and I will give you my email add. John Crump OldBrit. Parker.Co USA

IMG_1870.jpg
here is picture unfortunately I have to sell it now it is in classic lightweights this month

Barry I tried to bring up photo no joy. Can you email me the photo [email protected] have you listed it on Ebay and what size is the frame? I may be interested in buying it. John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

John do a search on lightweight classics + Gameson lots of info.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Back