• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FabulousGab

Brummie babby
Hello everyone,

My name is Michael and I'm new to this forum.

I'm an amateur novelist and for a story I'm working on, I'd like to know which coach companies ran between Birmingham and Liverpool around 1964, and what were the timetables?

Would you have this information or could you tell me where to find it?

Sincerely,

Michael

The companies would be Ribble Motor Services, its subsidiary Standerwick; North Western Road Car; and Midland Red. For detailed information (Timetables etc) try contacting The Bus Archive ( https://www.busarchive.org.uk/contact-us.shtml )

If you were there at the time, would you remember any anecdotes or details about these buses and routes that I could include in my story to make it more realistic? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A bit early for me, I was coach driving from 1975 for Midland Red whose coach services by then were part of the National Express network, and were going over to the white livery. Ribble (and Standerwick) coaches were cream and red, a reversal of their bus livery of red & cream. North Western were mostly red with cream areas, and Midland Red were obviously red with black or maroon roofs. Motorway routes were opening as the new roads were built, but the older routes kept running for some years also, calling at cities and towns on the way, so you could use either if you were not in a hurry. Pictured below coaches of both operators, both capable of motorway speeds (70 mph or sometimes more!). Birmingham departure would be from Digbeth coach station, owned by Midland Red, and arrival in Liverpool would be at Skelhorne Street bus & coach station.

4810  810 HHA  on the M1 painting.jpgRibble .jpgSkelhorne Street .jpgDigbeth, 1953. .jpg

A bit early for me, I was coach driving from 1975 for Midland Red whose coach services by then were part of the National Express network, and were going over to the white livery. Ribble (and Standerwick) coaches were cream and red, a reversal of their bus livery of red & cream. North Western were mostly red with cream areas, and Midland Red were obviously red with black or maroon roofs. Motorway routes were opening as the new roads were built, but the older routes kept running for some years also, calling at cities and towns on the way, so you could use either if you were not in a hurry. Pictured below coaches of both operators, both capable of motorway speeds (70 mph or sometimes more!). Birmingham departure would be from Digbeth coach station, owned by Midland Red, and arrival in Liverpool would be at Skelhorne Street bus & coach station.

View attachment 183456View attachment 183457View attachment 183458View attachment 183459
Hi Lloyd,
Thank you very much for your very detailed answer and the photos. I really appreciate.

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael and I'm new to this forum.

I'm an amateur novelist and for a story I'm working on, I'd like to know which coach companies ran between Birmingham and Liverpool around 1964, and what were the timetables?

Would you have this information or could you tell me where to find it?

Sincerely,

Michael
Michael, welcome! You have come to the right place for that information……

Back