• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frederick James DOLPHIN - Gun Engraver

Dolphie

master brummie
I have my Frederick James Dolphin in Kellys 1880 directory as a Gun Engraver at Harpers Buildings, 16 Weaman Street, Birmingham, but am wondering if there are any mentions of him in later directorys. If it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate it if anyone who had access to later directorys....could they 'look him up' for me?? Thank you so much in anticipation. xxx:)

He is there back to 1872. In 1873 it also gives his home address as 211 Herbert St. He is not listed at either address, or listed anywhere else in 1868 . In 1883 and 1884 his home address was 18 Wright St , smallheath, but is not listed in 1888.
I should have added that all this infom is from directories
Mike

Last edited:
Wow, thank you very much Mikejee....I only knew some of this so all this extra stuff is brill. He was living in Weaman St in 1841, 51, 61, 71 but then is in Wright St in 1881 etc. What I really would love to find out is how to go about finding out where/who etc he did his apprenticeship with. I did ask at Central Library as to how to find this sort of stuff but they were very vague & not particularly helpful. We have the most gorgeous photo of a very tiny hinged table that was one of his apprenticeship pieces for engraving.....it's brilliant to put more 'meat on the bones' of a person isn't it?
Once again, thanks ever so much for all your help...it's much appreciated especially at this busy time of year.

Back