• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"Franks Cafe"

iangmclean

knowlegable brummie
Hi, looking for any info/pics of my uncles old cafe in Newtown ( Frank Sterenberg ) the cafe was probably called "Franks Cafe" and may have been on Miller St or nearby in the 1950's:)

when a small boy my dad had a mate in Erdington Street or road and we would go to franks for a tea and a wad late 50's I think.
paul

hi ian..i do hope someone can pinpoint exactly where the cafe was and then we can look for pics of it for you

lyn

Hi Paul , i cant seem to find an erdington st or road in Birmingham , only Walsall . Did you mean Elkington st in Newtown ?

Ian

Thanks pollypops (Referring to link given which now does not work) , The pic looking down Miller st with the lady just about to cross the road , and the bus depot on the right ,shows where my wife Lorrain used to live. The family were in the buildings on the left just after the corner shop, my wife tells me that her mom who was rather a large lady could not get past the kitchen sink to get outside to the wash house or toilet block , so she had to go out of the front door walk down the passageway between the shop and the house and round into the shared washroom and toilet block. The shop on the corner in the 60's was known as Gary's and my wife would get sent there by her mom to get bread and cobs .

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Have managed to pinpoint where the cafe was through relatives.
It was on the corner of Miller St and Bracebridge St in Newtown mid to late 50's , so any more info or pic's would be great :)

Ian

In the 1959 kellys there is a
55 Bracebridge Rd Shand J dining rms

they were not there for long as there was a change of name a couple of years later

Have managed to pinpoint where the cafe was through relatives.
It was on the corner of Miller St and Bracebridge St in Newtown mid to late 50's , so any more info or pic's would be great :)

Ian

Hi Bammot , thanks but it is Bracebridge St on the corner of Miller St Newtown , probably under the name Sterenberg. According to family members it was called "Franks Cafe"

Regards Ian

In the 1958 kellys 55 bracebridge St (corner of Miller St) was listed in Kellys as Sternberg, F. ,Cafe

Thanks Mike , thats great! it has to be the one :)
Now all i need to do is try and find some pic's and memories :)

Ian.

Back