• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fountains.

This fountain still looked good the last time I visited Handsworth a couple of years ago. A lot of money has gone into the park and I have to say it's well used. There were cricket matches on the go and plenty of people doing what people used to do on a Sunday afternoon, strolling, playing games, boating and just sitting taking it all in.

what about aston park have they got any think like it left or its gone to the dogs like peter pan was it was very good in its hey day very smart functioning us kids loved it so all the people of aston did pitty they got rid of the park keepers i say

Lady P the Aston Uni campus is quite big now. I believe old houses were demolished in the 1960s. Then the student tower blocks built. Those were knocked down several years ago. And replaced by the new Aston University Student Village buildings.

Only students live near Aston Street now (in the student accommodation). There is a Costa Coffee and Tesco Express below the student residences.

A group of students at Aston tried to persuade the council to save some of the old courts in the Lawrence st area, as they were some of the first council houses in Birmingham, renovate them and use them for student houses, but, as usual, conservation was not a word the council (or the university) understood

Fountain at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. Seen last weekend while I was at the Jurassic Kingdom event.

I think that this is the same fountain, last December 2016 during the Magical Lantern Festival. In the rain.

Saw this old fountain at Wightwick Manor yesterday. It used to be at Wolverhampton Market from 1861 to 1961. Re-erected at Wightwick Manor (on the wall of the stables building) in 1971.

They also saved a war memorial from the St John Street Wolverhampton factory of the Mander Brothers. That to is now at Wightwick Manor (was in storage for a time).

The_Angel_Drinking_Fountain_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1711556.jpg

The Angel Drinking Fountain in Birmingham. A plaque on the base states: "This drinking fountain originally stood outside Christ Church at the junction of Colmore Row and New Street and after the demolition of the church in 1899 it was re-sited in this location." It is now on edge of St Philip's Place.
800px-The_Angel_Drinking_Fountain.JPG

1280px-The_Angel_Drinking_Fountain_%283956191157%29.jpg

It wasn’t there in 1904, so appeared in that position after that date.

Viv.

F26AD7F9-2B74-4DD5-B164-83917927B036.jpegIt
It seems to have changed over time. I think it may have started out as a memorial with drinking fountain. Is the animal (Tinpot suggests an antelope perhaps ?) on the top the Royal Warwickshire Regiment insignia ? Then by the late 1950s/60s the bottom part has been removed and a white (marble ?) plinth added set into a (flower?) trough. The white plinth looks typical of those on war memorials with the names of the fallen, so perhaps it was adapted after WW2.

Chances are it was removed entirely when the old library was demolished and the Central Library (1960s) was developed. If so where is it now ?

Viv.

537CE389-A670-4367-8231-E5BF48A51CF1.jpeg79E10DE1-E150-4058-A898-26C71187920E.jpegA7474140-EEEC-4FCE-BE25-99BBA0182EFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Have tracked the unveiling of the fountain memorial in 1903. It commemorates the fallen of the Soudan Campaign in 1898. Paid for by all ranks the Royal Warwickshire’s. It was given to the City for its care.

So where is it now I wonder ?

Viv.

479BD211-20C0-4D01-BA6F-0EF085F796D7.jpeg184E0B24-BDAB-4871-A07F-5729EF8959EF.jpeg
248F62CB-DA17-4842-9F3A-305EDF495EA4.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

The Imperial War Museum has a record of the memorial fountain but no photo. It is recorded as in the Reference Library Chamberlain Square?

From newspaper reports I’ve found out the Chamberlain Square memorial with fountain (and antelope [?]) in post #47 is/was referred to as the “Soudan” Memorial. Viv.

Last edited:
Were these the same fountain in Handsworth (Victoria) Park ? They look very similar except for some missing decoration beneath the top layer. Viv.

Screenshot_20230616_174555_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230616_173915_Chrome.jpg

Back