• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dunlop

HI GEORGE. Would appreciate your email address to catch up keith Forster Ex Tyre 4 Engineers.

Last edited by a moderator:
my uncle christy worked at dunlops and lost 3 fingers in a accident there sometime in the forties
his surname was o'beirnes after he returned to ireland and died in 1981.
my brother inlaw started there in 1971 and is still working there he his coming up for retirment soon

hi
my brother inlaw worked in tyre 2 in he was a pocket maker in 1971 he is now is a bambury worker he also worked in tyre 8

I've already posted this pic on another thread some time ago but thought that some may not have seen it. My Dad, Jack Fowler, is the second player in from the left on the back row.
Jack Fowler Dunlop Football Team 1938.jpg

3 more photos.
The first is a canal boat possibly taking workers from, I think, Aston where the original works were to the new factory in Wood Lane.
Dunlop barge.jpg
The second was originally posted by Frothblower I think.
Fort Dunlop 1918.jpg
The last is taken just inside the gates looking down towards Base Stores. I take issue with the caption "Castle Bromwich". It's always been Erdington to our family!
Fort Dunlop 1961.jpg

Re Fort Dunlop keith Forster
Hi It would be great to contact any ex Engineering apprentices 1960/1966 and Works Engineers from Tyre4/Tubes/CPD(Mill department) or any other Fort department that may know me

On the subject of dunlops when my great grand father died in 1935 the employees of that company ssent floral and sincerly condonents
to my great grand mother mary ann hughes jelf ;whom ran the cafe on the corner of holly lane -wood lane tyburn rd erdinton;
and it was in the birmingham paper i think it was the birmingham post also from the druids society as i have ben informed by a senior jelf
that they sent and printed condolences as welll he knows as he intended to follow in our fore fathers steps for the society
and he told me that grt grand fathers family was the grand masters of thesuch society ; but by the age of consent they had closed this society
but he as acheived aot of what they have done he ws in every foot step of theres places they lived and the old church where they all got married and lived in old cow honeybourne eversham but not made the grade of a grand master even there school they went to he made it to the top in our soiciety but not the grand master now living n oxford ;
best wishes Astonian;;

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum.
My father-in-law worked at Dunlop, would have been around the times you mention, but I'm not sure where exactly he worked, his name was Donald Meredith. His mom Nellie also worked there in the wages dept. Don left to teach at Hereward College in Coventry, but sadly died in 1987, I never knew him.
Sue

Hope you got the photos I sent you Keith you can post them if you like,as I have enough trouble using the computer ,let alone posting photos,mom said they used to get all there mattresses and pillows from Dunlop ,,and dads (George Styles) got paid for new ideas to make jobs safer or more productive ,,which was always our holiday money,,hard and hot days but he loved it
When he came to Dunlop in West Australia it was a tin shed so was very disappointed ,but dad just found another job
But always said the guys at fort Dunlop would not believe the Aussie Dunlop a great letdown

A view Dunlop's in Rocky Lane, Aston in the 1920s

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365925567.926784.jpg

And a view of Fort Dunlop in 1963. Must have been taken from the same place as the view in David's post # 33. The factory was turned over to Spitfire assembly during the 2nd WW, but afterwards was returned to tyre production. I've also seen a picture of Dunlops in Livery Street, on the opposite side of the road of Snow Hill station. Will try to find it. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365925637.350434.jpg

A view Dunlop's in Rocky Lane, Aston in the 1920s

View attachment 85704

And a view of Fort Dunlop in 1963. Must have been taken from the same place as the view in David's post # 33. The factory was turned over to Spitfire assembly during the 2nd WW, but afterwards was returned to tyre production. I've also seen a picture of Dunlops in Livery Street, on the opposite side of the road of Snow Hill station. Will try to find it. Viv.

View attachment 85705

Dunlop continued Tyre Manufacture throughout WW11.. a relatively small amount of Spitfire manufacture (I believe steering gear) took place on the Dunlop Site. The vast majority of Spitfire manufacture was 'next door' at what is now the Jaguar Plant.

On a topical note, Fort Dunlop ladies making tennis balls in the Tennis Ball Department in 1928. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372025541.439244.jpg

My father, uncle and five brothers were working at the Fort all at the same time.
I was not one of them.
Anyone got any memories of the Fort?

I was wondering if anyone had memories of speed man John Cobb, my dad was in charge of tyre production for Cobbs racing cars and had lunch with him many times when on a visit to the Fort.
John also brought a fairly big lump of salt crystal from the salt flats in America for dad, but that disappeared some years ago, wonder where it went.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jenny, you are quick.
Will read it later, just about to start sorting our tea out.
No peace for the wicked.

My dad worked all his life at the Dunlop firstly at Aston Cross after he came back from WW1 and later at the Fort until he retired in 1966. He worked in what was known as "the black hole" the dirtiest job there, showers were fitted so that could clean up after their shift. He was awarded long service medals but we gave them to my brother who lives in Australia as he is the only son to carry on the family name Wallace, and he has a son, 3 grandsons and 2 great grand sons.

Dunlops Tyre Company

I believe Dunlop Tyre factory was opened first in Birmingham in Rocky Lane, Aston and when Fort Dunlops was built, some of the workers from Aston were initially taken to the Fort by canal barge as the buses/trams stopped at Salford Bridge. Does anyone out there know anything about this? i would be extremely grateful for approx dates etc. Thanks a lot.
Cheers - Benabby

Re: Dunlops Tyre Company

Yes I seen that picture myself many years ago in the paper and in a book Carolina
People whom worked hard at Dunlop for there bread and butter to survive and they was a generous people
When my great grand father died William George Jelf, whom ran the coffee shop on the corner of holly lane and Tyburn road
Just by the Dunlop and supplied the workers with there food and teas from The 1920 to 1935 when he died
They made a huge collection for him in cash and in flowers and gave them to my get grand mother Mary Ann Hughes is Wife
And it was publish used in the birmingham post in 1935. She died in 1946 and both are hurried in st Barth,s high street Eddington
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Elder Brummie and Newbie Brummie, you have come up trumps again. Thank you so much for the great picture an info shared. My father worked in Fort Dunlop for many years. From the Tyre Shop he worked on the railway that ran through Dunlop's was an active Shop Stewaed and later was voted on to the Board as the Worker's Representative. Thanks once more.

My dad worked for Dunlop all his life, starting at Aston Cross in 1919 when he came back from WW1, he moved with them to Fort Dunlop and used to tell my older brother and sisters that he used to patrol the Fort, little did he know he would actually be doing that on fire fighting duties in WW2 after his shift had finished.

Hi Sylvia,
Sounds like you are talking about my Dad, he did more or less the same.

Anyone remember George Humphreys or Humphries working at Dunlop forties and early fifties. He lived in Dunvegan Road Erdington. Regards, David.

Back