• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ford Street Hockley

hello there i bought a watch from the pawn shop in ford street when i worked at Rabones and it still works to this day although i dont wear it i wont part with it to many old memories i suppose great to see the old pictures of the area as it has very fond memories that are cherished

There used to be a large post propping up a house towards the bottom of the street,so I presume it was through bomb damage when the bus depot was bombed at the same time. Ford street bomb damage.JPG

Hi Folks, I lived in Heaton St for the first 10 years of my life (1949-59) and my mother often referred to a film actress who was born/lived in Ford Street but I can't remember her name, I thought it may have been Ann Hayward but when I checked she was associated with Acocks Green. With stars adopting stage names it's not always easy to check - services of a film buff required!

Peg.

Two press extracts about 3 and 4 Ford Street. Viv.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 35
My gt gt grandfather James Richard Bennett, died here in 1876, he was a newspaper reporter, I would like to know more about this building and street, please. Any old photo's? thank you so much everyone.

click on the link below as we do have a lengthy thread for ford st...you would need to subscribe to the british newspaper archives in order to see if there were any reports about your gt gt grandfathers death but the thread below does have some old photos of ford st which you may find of interest

lyn

This will not help you, but I was born at no14, in 1953 which was then an outdoor or an off licence run by my parents Mr & Mrs J A Kelly.

This will not help you, but I was born at no14, in 1953 which was then an outdoor or an off licence run by my parents Mr & Mrs J A Kelly.
Have you got the right number as Alfred Fantham lived there and the Cowley family lived at the back of him, there wasnt an outdoor. The only outdoor was the other side of the road

Two press extracts about 3 and 4 Ford Street. Viv.
Viv I have only just seen your postings, thanks for that. I didnt realise the houses/factories went so old. I was given a photo recently of No 4 (before we lived there) and the factory ran all up the yard on the left hand side. The gate at the back of the lady goes through to another yard leading onto Park Road

Attachments

• Ford street.JPG
    Ford street.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 24

Have you got the right number as Alfred Fantham lived there and the Cowley family lived at the back of him, there wasnt an outdoor. The only outdoor was the other side of the road

Thank you! I have checked my birth certificate and it was number 62.

Lynn,what years are you talking about with Wynn & Harry Phelps.Only they lived in the yard behind 45 Whitmore St.My wife tells me there was a brother named Dick who lived in Redditch.Wynn looked after my wife's brother when he was ill. And she was pals with Barry and Brian,out with them all the time.Her name was Brenda Wathen.Shes just told me that Dick looked like the spiv in DADS ARMY spitting image.

Lynn,what years are you talking about with Wynn & Harry Phelps.Only they lived in the yard behind 45 Whitmore St.My wife tells me there was a brother named Dick who lived in Redditch.Wynn looked after my wife's brother when he was ill. And she was pals with Barry and Brian,out with them all the time.Her name was Brenda Wathen.Shes just told me that Dick looked like the spiv in DADS ARMY spitting image.
Brian is still about and plays guitar in a group

Thanks Carolina,My wife's 76 this year so the groups must be old.She said nice to know and if you ever see him remember her to him

Hey there,

I am looking for people who have any information or photos surrounding Ford Street back in the 1950s/1960s. I'm on here on behalf of my grandad whose name is Bernard O'Carroll. He used to live on Ford Street with his brother Rodger O'Carroll and their mother Violet O'Carroll. My grandad said that they lived there for about 27 years before moving.

Some places I'm aware that where around at the time is Smiths Pawn Shop, a factory called Pascals (or something close to that spelling) and 'The Outdoor'.

I have been trying to do my own research on this however the difference to this place then and now is crazy and I'd never be able to identify these places on my own!

Any information will be greatly appreciated and I'm even more excited to show my grandad pictures of his childhood.

Many thanks!

Back