• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ford Street Hockley

mike your pic post 27 is definately the same line of shops...in fact the pawnbrokers is still intact..

hi carol will look forward to seeing that photo..great stuff..

josie was the shop the whitmore st end or the lodge road end ?? looking at the photo i would guess the lodge road end

lyn

Last edited:
I know my mom bought odds and ends from there and Reg used to wear a brown overall coat. The entry you went down eventually lead to a yard where 2 families lived, one was O'Carroll and the other was Len who worked for Wacaden Milk.

thanks josie and carol i thought it was...it wasnt actually on the corner was it...

Hi carol
Just picked up the thread and Lynn not quite on parr with it but she does know the area very well like me it was her neck of the woods
As of myself I was going to say on a thread but I seen your answer for me as I was going o say yes Lynn it is ford street
And the pop shop because my aunt and cousins lived in the big yard just yards from the shop and your house
They of cause was Bryan and Barry Bryan was the football mad kid loved his foot ball with the lads in the street by you
Some time I would play if they was short of a mean,and we we would swing around on that lamp post always on a Sunday I would pop down
To aunty winning and uncle harry whom always to me looked like Freddy front on the comedian as he was a little guy
I have a lot of memorise from there and around on park road I went out with a lot of girls from around there also of lodge red up
Those terrace houses by the fire man pub if you recall it and my sister in law now for 40 years used to live right next door to the hydralalic pub
Up the lodge end facing scribonas bakery take care best wishes to you and of course our Lynn Alan astonian,,,,,,

a smashing photo carolina
i remember having a hula hoop took me ages to do it i was more roller skates
that was when the straps didnt keep snapping ende up tying them on with rope
josie

thats a smashing photo carolina and like josie i was more into rollar skating...could never get the hang of the hula hoop ..just wouldnt stay up..could be because in those days i was straight up and down.no waist you see lol...

lyn

thats a lovely photo carolina...i think it shows quite a bit of the shop and its a clear pic as well...thank you for sharing it with us...

lyn

thats a lovely photo carolina...i think it shows quite a bit of the shop and its a clear pic as well especially when clicked on twice to enlarge it...thank you for sharing it with us...

lyn

Carolina
I think this brings up the detail in the photo a little better

carol_and_Brenda_Pawn_shop_ford_stexp.jpg

Hi Carolina,
I am not sure if this has made the picture any clearer.Moss

Attachments

• carol_and_Brenda_Pawn_shop_ford_stexp.jpg
    carol_and_Brenda_Pawn_shop_ford_stexp.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 35
Cheers Moss. The door that is shown is where the owner of Wasdell's Mudguards lived during the week as he actually lived in Hereford. My mom although worked in the factory next door she also did some housekeeping for him. He paid for our first holiday in Rhyl.

carol we could have both been in rhyl at the same time ..always went there for our hols as kids...used to get the train from snow hill..

lyn

ahh thats smashing carolina...was it a tad on the windy side?? and you havent changed a bit...

lyn

just for you carolina....2 new photos of ford st..also moving this thread to the streets section of the forum..

pic 1 dated 1966
pic 2 dated 1957

lyn

Attachments

• Ford Street Hockley - 15-8-1966.jpg
    Ford Street Hockley - 15-8-1966.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Ford Street No 50-53 Hockley - 3-1-1957.jpg
    Ford Street No 50-53 Hockley - 3-1-1957.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
glad you like them carol...as you know its not easy to find piccies of ford st but as i always say...never say never they are out there somewhere

lyn

HI CAROL; MIKE AND LYN
I HAVE COME ACROSS AN ARTICLE THAT MAY IN SOME WAY THROW SOME LIGHT ON A PERSON WHOM MAY HAVE BEEN CONNECTED TO WHAT
may have been created by a guy from history of abbey street around the corner from ford street,and its a pity my aunty winn phelps was not around because more han likely she probable know the history of ford street and the flat still; this what i have got to.
in 1779 a guy called richard ford,; one of the mechanical worthies of that period [ showells dictionary ] rented waste land by hockley pool, also known as boulton ,s pool after matthew boulton.
ford employed a number of people and noticed that some of them spent there wages and time in activities which he felt was unwise,
AS An example to them. he put aside twelve and fifteen shillings aweek and when trade was slack instead of laying off his men he used
The sum saved to pay his workers to go with horse and carts to aston furnace for loads of slag.
With this unappealing material, ford errected a house with thick walls which was made to look like a ruin building;
He called it HOCKLEY ABBEY and with small pebbles set in cement he formed the figure 1473; on the front so as to add illusion of antiquity.
The building has gone long since but is called ABBEY STREET Whilst ford himself is remembered in FORD STREET BOTH ROADS RUN INTO LODGE ROAD
And if you look at the picture of Abbey street and look at the picture of Ford Street the house are made and look alike the same construction
so thats how the name of ford street came to fruition and possible house early centry and early 1789 possible

The Flat 4.JPGHere is a shot of The Flat taken from the corner of Ford Street. Thanks to Julie.

Last edited:
smashing photo carol..not seen it before...i think thats the bulls head pub on the corner of key hill...

many thanks to you and julie

lyn

Back