• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FLOYER ROAD SMALL HEATH

Ali-Row

I wondered if anyone would remember the Greaves family who ran a pub on Floyer Road round about 1942ish ? Trying to trace the name of the pub as my grandad was the publican.

I have just done a trawl of Floyer Road in 1940 directory (nearest I can access online) and there are no pubs listed. However, there is one beer retailer - these are often named by locals but often appear in directories with no name.

No use to you, but thanks for the memory. One of my mates from Saltley (60's) lived in Floyer Road. New memories now circulating in the grey matter.
Andrew.

247 Floyer rooad, which I assume is the place referred to by Janice, is listed as a beer retailer in Kellys up till the last Kellys in 1973, when it is listed as a Good cheer Cellar, wine & spirit merchant. On Steeetview the M & B on a plaque can still be seen. Originally, as Janice said, beer retailer could be a beerhouse, but als could be an off licence. After WW2 it was more usual for beer houses to be named in Kellys, and for beer retailer to mean an off licence, so an not entirely convinced that 247 was ever a pub of any sort, but could be mistaken

I have just done a trawl of Floyer Road in 1940 directory (nearest I can access online) and there are no pubs listed. However, there is one beer retailer - these are often named by locals but often appear in directories
No use to you, but thanks for the memory. One of my mates from Saltley (60's) lived in Floyer Road. New memories now circulating in the grey matter.
Andrew.
247 Floyer rooad, which I assume is the place referred to by Janice, is listed as a beer retailer in Kellys up till the last Kellys in 1973, when it is listed as a Good cheer Cellar, wine & spirit merchant. On Steeetview the M & B on a plaque can still be seen. Originally, as Janice said, beer retailer could be a beerhouse, but als could be an off licence. After WW2 it was more usual for beer houses to be named in Kellys, and for beer retailer to mean an off licence, so an not entirely convinced that 247 was ever a pub of any sort, but could be mistaken
Yes it’s number 247 that I’m looking for. I’m tracing my mum’s side of her family & my grandparents address in 1942 was 247 Floyer Road. Sorry for asking but what is Kellys is it some form of directory? My grandad was a soldier at that time & it says my grandma was a beer house manageress.

Yes, Kellys are directories. the last one was in 1973. I think it was an off-license , selling beer and alcohol for consumption off the premises. These off-licenses did not usually have names.

I wondered if anyone would remember the Greaves family who ran a pub on Floyer Road round about 1942ish ? Trying to trace the name of the pub as my grandad was the publican.

Not Harry & Elsie is it?

Back