• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Hi folks. Here are a few photos from my father in laws collection of his time spent at Fishers. I'm afraid I don't know the names of the gentlemen in the photos other than what is on the caption, sorry, but any member who can put names to faces pleas feel free to do so.img032.jpgimg036.jpg First picture is of a Standard Vanguard 1953, the second one is Len's (?) retirement 1979

More photos of "men at work"img033.jpgimg041.jpgimg037.jpg First photo left to right, Tom, Bill, Charley and Bill. Photo no 2 Two Bills. The third photo is of the first Jaguar body off the production line, date unknown

And a few moreimg034.jpgimg035.jpgimg040.jpg First photo, Horace, welding "1800" scuttles. Photo two, Bill also welding "1800" scuttles. Number three, unknown gentleman.

Great photos and look at those flairs and shirt collar of the fashionable chap on the left in the second pic in #101

oldMohawk. I'm just sorry I can't put names to faces and I'm hoping some of our Eagle eyed members can do so.

Can't say I knew any of those in the photos, but Fishers was a huge factory, with. Any blocks. I spent most of my latter years in A2 block. I left in 1969, to take a new job at Rootes in Coventry. Great quality photos though.

My dad Len Smith worked in C or D block from the 50's until the 80', as he was ginger headed and a tool setter he was known as the Red Setter. Broke his heart when made redundant.

fisher ludlow workers.jpg

I wonder if any members can identify any of the people on this photograph. My grandfather, Leonard Harry Hope, (Right hand group of men in white coats, left) sadly died in 1961, and all I know of him is that he was a senior foreman. Be very grateful to know of anyone who may have worked with him, or indeed if anyone can identify where in the Fisher & Ludlow factory this group of men may have worked.

Sorry can´t hel`p you with names, only to say the man sat behind the first and second mad in white jackets on right front row, i think he lived in the chipperfield rd, shwsdale rd dregon rd area and MAY of used the British Legion when my dad worked on the door wekends, who also worked at F&L, sorry no more help

Sorry I am not much help either. I was working there in 1961, having just finished my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker, but can't recall any of those on your photo. I've had a good look, and certainly would have remembered any that worked in my block, but alas none of those.

My mum recently passed away and I found her Shop Steward's Credential Card. Her name was Hazel Marian Rushton but she was known as Marion, she was Shop Steward for the bench trimming department. Did anyone know her?

Hi Eric, we are trying to trace all the family I am William Sodens granddaughter. Can we perhaps exchange addresses to swap family stories?
Lydia

Hello Lydia, My sister in law Ellen was married to Harold Soden, they had a son Derek and a daughter Patricia and live in Glenmead Road Great Bar, I know little about any of Harold's other relatives though.
Best wishes, Eric

Hi Folks,
Newbie here, I'm enjoying the photos and the chat about Fisher and Ludlow. My late Dad worked there during the late 50s to mid 60s. His name was Bart Glover and his job was to spot weld the roofs onto minis. I know he spoke about the television cameras being in the factory at one stage and being filmed on the assembly line. I've tried sites like Pathe news without luck. I'd love to find a photo of him at work.

My dad Jerry Flynn worked at Fishers as a Finisher i don´t know what this `position is or was can anybody please tell me what a finisher did , thank you

One of the lads we knocked around with 1953 to 1960 was called Gordon Bott, lived in Ermington Crescent, his wife was called Christine, his father also worked there. I think his father was a shop steward. When we moved to Devon, Christmas cards passed between us for a few years and then we lost touch.
Bob Davis

Back