• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fish Market Wholesale 1869

Rupert

master brummie
Hi,
Anyone else enjoy a nice plate of whelks or jellied eels or crabs claws?

Wimbushes doughnuts mmm.

Birmingham had a great fish market in the old days. Lived abroad for 40 years now and these things are impossible to come by.

Tim Hortons think they can make donuts. You have to make allowances.

regards,

This thread has been created from posts scattered across a number of markets threads. For an explanation of each market please see this link.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-to-birmingham-wholesale-retail-markets.3073/

There was a photo of the indoor market in the 60's, I think it was on the Vitual Brum site.It was of my hubby's Uncle David Herbert who had a fish and poultry stall. Sadly we can't find the picture anywhere
on that site. Can anyone point us in the right direction to find it please?

Thank you

The photo on this post has been lost

Hi Rowan
This is the only picture I can find of the fish market.

Many thanks Postied............will show hubby and see if he recalls anyone.

Thank you for your time:)

my grandad worked in the fish market in 1940s but my earliest memory was in 1960 i think he was just visiting there at this time he used to always bring my mother a large piece of fish i think it was flounder not sure it was kind of round with spots on its back and flatish i always thought i could never eat that and never did but i love fish now . My grandad was david mac he would be very old now so dont think there would be anybody from his time working at fishmarket he would have retired during world war two or not long after. I wander if there is any information about those days anywhere about workers at fishmarket would love to see his name somewhere.

Rosie, I think you will find that, that flat fish with spots was a (plaice) ANOTHER FISH LOVER...Cat

Living in Wolverhampton we would travel to Birmingham on the train and my favorite was to visit the fish market for crab claws. Mom would always say no because I would always eat them on the train back home, I would always promise I wouldn't but once the train was moving off would come my hair clip and I would tuck in. This would have been around 1945-1950 loved the rag market as well. Mom was born at Claybrook St so we would visit quite often

Can anyone help with this another partly demolished building near to St Martins.

Demolition_2.jpg Demolition_1.jpg

The small building at the rear on pic 2 says John Brandon and co and the road on the right just before it sign says Lease Lane hope this helps

Visual confirmation

Lease2520Lane25202520Bell2520Street252025201955A.jpg

Thats Brilliant I now know the building and the date thanks everyone.

The little chapel is the fish market which I suspect is often confused with the market hall; where they also sold fish. Perhaps the fish market was wholesale. Maybe the two similar photo's were taken as a series at the same time from slightly different perspectives. The church clock is the same time.
The fish market does look like a little doric building though...if that is the right word. Must have walked past it many times and never noticed. I wonder what style the Market Hall was supposed to be and I still think that the other end in Wordester Street was intended to be the front. Hardly ever used that end though.

A view looking down Bell Street in 1955. The road was sandwiched between the Fish Market and Market Hall. The Fish Market looks bigger than I thought. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375879716.019265.jpg

The wholesale fish market was built in 1869 on the the corner of Bell Street and High Street/Bull Ring next door to the Birmingham Market Hall (retail). Before this a fish market was held in an open air market in Dale End.

This is the Fish Market in 1968 - as photographed by Phyllis Nicklin and before the building was demolished to make way for the Bull Ring 1970s markets. The second image is an interior view of the market taken in 1958. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
The opening of the fish market is normally given as 1869, it moving from a site in the street, But it looks like the market was held on that site for a short time before the building was built. this is a cutting from the birmingham Post 25.10.1867
new site for fish market Birm post.25.10.1867.jpg

Back