• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Record Bought?

BazzM

master brummie
Can you all remember the very first record you ever bought? Mine was "Counting Teardrops" by Emile Ford & The Checkmates. It was round about the late,50s or early ,60s. Its still in my collection, in a box somewhere. I bet we get some real right crackers here. So start picking the old brain box, and lets hear them. Barry.

Hi Barry:) Mom bought me an old dancette record player with one record From a Jack to a King :) had to save up to buy Billy Fury's I Will

I take it that would have been Ned Millers version Maggie. Another good song. Barry.

Can you all remember the very first record you ever bought? Mine was "Counting Teardrops" by Emile Ford & The Checkmates. It was round about the late,50s or early ,60s. Its still in my collection, in a box somewhere. I bet we get some real right crackers here. So start picking the old brain box, and lets hear them. Barry.

Bazz reached No:4 Dec 1960 stayed 12 weeks in the chart;)

The first record I ever bought with money I had earned myself was as opposed to money I had been given was in 1962 from a record shop on Moseley Rd Balsall Heath opposite the top of Vincent Street and it was Tommy Roe singing Shelia.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5miIR3Iv6MA"]YouTube - Tommy Roe - Sheila[/ame]

Phil

Phil. That was one of my favourites, due to the fact that I was dating a girl called Sheila at the time. Happy memories. Barry.

Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire was my first and I still have it. Second was Love Me Do by the Beatles, I was already hooked on them by then.

Barry dad bought me a Dansette for my 13th I got Red sails in the sunset by Tab Hunter, Emile ford what do you want to make those eyes at me for, and Saint Teresa of the roses I cant think who that was by was it, no It's gone, bet Alf will know

I remember the first record I ever bought, It was Diana by Paul Anka.
Even though I had just been bought a "Portadyne" record player with autochanger, I still insisted on buying the 78rpm version because all other records in our house were 78. I continued buying the 78 versions until I was finally convinced that the 45 rpm were the modern way. I still have my record collection now. Goffy

Bill Hayley and The Comets - Rock Around The Clock. Still remember the excitement of such a "new" type of music.

Patty. St. Therese of the roses, was by Malcolm Vaughan. It reached No.3 in 1958. And you had an Emile Ford disc too. My, he was popular then wasnt he? Barry.

Goffy. 78s, they where the days. When 78s went out, and 45s came in, I melted all our old unused 78s down, and made vases out of them. Wish I had kept some now. They must be worth a few bob. Barry.

The first record I ever bought was 'Cry' by Johnny Ray - how I loved that record, and the sob in his voice :)

Judy

Singing the Blues.. Both versions.. Guy Mitchell and Tommy Steele... was my first, then on to all Buddy Holly:brokenheart::brokenheart::brokenheart::brokenheart:

Singing the Blues, by Guy Mitchell was my first record also, from a music shop that was on the Stratford Rd. facing Stoney Ln. I think. and a Dansette record player.

The first record purchased for me by my mother was 'Butter Fingers' by Tommy Steel.

The first record that I purchased was 'Tamborine man' by the Byrds:)

Mabel

You won't believe this - Boppin Rock Boogie by Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones - still got it , still play it!

>>>>>> Long live Rock 'n' Roll <<<<<<:1303:

My first LP was With The Beatles I still have it. I didn't buy many as I used to play my brothers.

Hanco I met Jess Conrad about four years ago he was in a play called Play Further Up Your Own End in Brum. My husband drove him up from London. We had a drink with him in the bar after the show. He was lovely and still very professional!

Nice story there Wendy. My most recent claim to fame while at work here at Glasgow Airport, was picking up, and ,having my photo took, with Fergal Sharkey, (he of the Undertones fame). Barry.

I don't think I ever brought a record, I played my sister's collection:)
This one I remember playing alot.
[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M3-rslY_Yf8&feature=related"]YouTube - All I have to do is dream - The Everly Brothers[/ame]

Back