• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Park - huge boulder

tali

master brummie
Farm Park in Sparkbrook until mid 80s had a huge flint grey boulder which kids used to climb on -anyone recall what happened to it?
Why it was put there is a mystery - can only assume it was a first attempt at modern art perhaps - although it appeared very natural and untouched

I can remember such a stone in Cannon Hill Park near the boating pool and the grandstand. If I remember correct it was full of holes, it looked like a huge cinder, and the story was that it was a meteor or a stone left over from the last ice age. Could have been found when they dug out the boating pool.

Our history lesson for today shall begin here.

Towards the end of the Ice Age , the Glaciers began moving and carried all kinds of boulders and rocks along with them.
Sometimes these boulders were huge, weighing many hundreds of tons, and were carried for thousands of miles in some cases. Eventually these boulders settled wherever they were deposited by the glacial ice.
Thier proper name is Erratic Boulders, probably because they had no definate direction of travel.

Now, put your chairs on your desks and leave Quietly.

One of the better known stones in Birmingham is in Yardley and is of course Gilbertstone.I think it is now in the gardens of Blakesley Hall.

Postie

What about this one, is it still there or has it been moved?

Phil

HockleyTheWarStone.jpg

Yeah Phil, forgot that one, but there are thousands of them all over the place. The Lickey Hills is made up of millions of them in all shapes and sizes.
Fascinating when you get into them.

Phil, The War Stone is still in Warstone Lane Cemetery, near the entrance in Warstone Lane. I don't think that will ever be moved.....er.....maybe I shouldn't have said that (tempting providence)!

I can remember such a stone in Cannon Hill Park near the boating pool and the grandstand. If I remember correct it was full of holes, it looked like a huge cinder, and the story was that it was a meteor or a stone left over from the last ice age. Could have been found when they dug out the boating pool.

No holes in the Farm Rd one

Didn't there used to be a boulder near to Bournville Station? I think it was brought down from the lake district area by a glacier in the ice age. Is it still there?

Pill the 'War stone' was definitely still at Warstone Lane Cemetery around Sat 16th June last year... Here it is with me sitting on it.

Photo taken by our very own Wendy.

View attachment 14996

Pom

Last edited:
Pill the 'War stone' was definitely still at Warstone Lane Cemetery around Sat 16th June last year... Here it is with me sitting on it.

Photo taken by our very own Wendy.

View attachment 14996

Pom

Have you got one of you sitting on The Great Stone in the pound next to the Great Stone Inn at Northfield. Mind you I can see you there on the right in the white pinny at Cannon Hill Park when you was a llittle bit younger.

Phil

GlacialBoulderCannonHillPark-1.jpg

And heres the Gilbertstone boulder.

Attachments

• Sheldon The Gilbertstone .jpg
    Sheldon The Gilbertstone .jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Tali

I often used farm park in my younger days, I can't bring to mind any boulder natural or otherwise. Where was it located? When did it appear and is it still there?

It wasn't this one was it, I think they are looking for somewhere to put it.

Phil

Boulder.jpg

Phil,

Thanks for the photo, that's the one that we used to play on in Cannon Hill Park.

Tali

I often used farm park in my younger days, I can't bring to mind any boulder natural or otherwise. Where was it located? When did it appear and is it still there?

It wasn't this one was it, I think they are looking for somewhere to put it.

Phil

It was in from the mid 70s when i went there.Located about middle of park( not anywhere near entrances or sides)-i will check with family for better pinpoint

Having been a "parkie" in the 70's, farm park was one of the parks I went to as a relief and I do not remember a large stone being there, just Lloyd House, which then was used by the Son's of Rest as a club room.

I checked with other members of my family and friends - and they all def 100% remember the boulder in Farm Park

Back