• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family relationships

Geminidi

proper brummie kid
I apologise if this question doesn't belong on The Birmingham History Forum but am hoping someone can help me sort out the relationship
between members of my family. My mother Muriel Flower had an uncle George (her father Edward Flower's brother) which I know means that she and
George's children were cousins. Are the children of cousins referred to as second cousins? Then are the children of each "second cousin" referred
to as "distant cousins." Hope I've written this clearly enough.

Had to look on my tree what ancestry calls it.
Children of cousins are "2nd cousins"
Not sure of the other one as I don't have that on my tree.

Thank you for your response. I'd also like to know what is the relationship between the "second cousins" from separate families called.
This where it gets really tricky. What does it mean when a relationship is "once removed"?

Looked it up. Children of second cousins are "third cousins" but I think most people use the phrase "distant cousins".

The number refers to the generation.
So cousins of the same generation are "first" cousins.
Their children one generation on are second cousins.
Their children another generation on are "third" cousins and so on.
Removed refers to them being in different generations.
So your cousin's children are your cousins once removed. So one generation apart.

Having read that it started to make sense to me.

Thank you Janice. That has answered some questions for me. It looks like the "cousins once or twice removed" from two separate brothers'
families are, as you say, just distant cousins. The only true connection is where the family share Grandparents from several generations before.

Looked it up. Children of second cousins are "third cousins" but I think most people use the phrase "distant cousins".

The number refers to the generation.
So cousins of the same generation are "first" cousins.
Their children one generation on are second cousins.
Their children another generation on are "third" cousins and so on.
Removed refers to them being in different generations.
So your cousin's children are your cousins once removed. So one generation apart.

Having read that it started to make sense to me.
Great explanation Janice, thank you! For some reason when I was growing up I always looked at second or third cousins as different people. Then as I got to be around 16 they seemed to be pretty nice folks.

Always remember to go across and down, and (correspondingly) up and across - not down and across, and across and up...

Cousin's (across) children (down) are cousins once removed. Corresponding relationship in reverse parent's (up) cousins (across) are cousins once removed.

and

Second cousin's (across) great grandchildren (down) are second cousins 3 x removed. Corresponding relationship in reverse great grandparent's (up) second cousins (across) are second cousin's 3 x removed.

When I was younger I thought second cousins were my cousins other cousins.

Back