• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Family name interests HARTILL/ROLLASON/LOFFMAN/MULLIS

T

timetraveller

:)

Hi

I'm new to this site and thought I'd post my interests and 2 brick walls I have.

HARTILL/ROLLASON/LOFFMAN/MULLIS

One family lived in Moland Street, Aston.

These are all from mostly Aston area of Birmingham.  Still trying to find Emma/Emily ROLLASON born abt 1853 father James ROLLASON a gun worker.

Elizabeth /Lizzie MULLIS died in 1901 Back of Miller Street Aston, death certificate gives approximate birth date of 1860.  Family are adamant that she was born in Motherwell in Scotland but no evidence has been found to support this.  So maybe she was daughter of Scottish parents?  Would welcome help if anyone has this name in their tree.

Re: Family name interests

Hello Timetraveller. I found an Eliza Mullis aged 19, in the 1881 census, no place of birth shown. Scroll down, she is almost at the bottom of the census entry.

Dwelling: 23 Carpenter Rd
Census Place: Edgbaston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341707.‚.. .‚.. .‚..PRO Ref RG11.‚.. .‚.. Piece 2957.‚.. .‚.. Folio 102.‚.. .‚.. Page 7
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John BROOKS M 52 M Birmingham
Rel: Head
Occ: Paper Dealer Emplg 2 Men
Frances B. BROOKS M 46 F Birmingham
Rel: Wife
Francis BROOKS U 19 M Balsall Heath, Worcester, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Oxford Undergraduate
Margaret E. BROOKS 16 F Birmingham
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Walter BROOKS 15 M Birmingham
Ethel BROOKS 13 F Birmingham
Arthur Alfred BROOKS 11 M Birmingham
Arnold BROOKS 10 M Birmingham
Winifred BROOKS 9 F Birmingham
Sydney BROOKS 7 M Birmingham
Charles H. BROOKS 6 M Birmingham
George D. BROOKS 3 M Birmingham
Selina WESTWOOD U 24 F Yardley, Warwick, England
Rel: Serv
Occ: Nursery Governess (D)
Mary A. HENDLEY U 26 F Grafton, Warwick, England
Occ: Cook
Emily G. STOCKLEY U 23 F Kingswood, Warwick, England
Occ: Housemaid
Eliza MULLIS U 19 F
Occ: Housemaid (Under)
Caroline WHEELER U 19 F Astwood Bank, Worcester, England
Occ: Nurse (D)

Here is the only other Eliza on the 1881 census, I couldn't find an Elizabeth/Lizzie

Dwelling: BK Of 1 Chester Street
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341724 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3030 Folio 76 Page 5
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Benjamin MULLIS M 56 M Kevesley, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: General Labourer
Esther MULLIS M 56 F Kevesley, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
James MULLIS U 23 M Kevesley, Warwick, England
Occ: Bricklayer
Eliza MULLIS U 22 F Kevesley, Warwick, England
Occ: Brassfounders Warehousewoman
Annie MULLIS 18 F Kevesley, Warwick, England
Occ: Pen Slitter

Last edited by a moderator:

A childhood friend of mine was Roy Hartill who lived at 5 back of 81 Cromwell Street Nechells
his parents were Frank and Hester they lived their from about 1945 till 1960's when they had to move for the redevelopment of the area

;)

Hi Cromwell
Thanks for your reply. I haven't come across these names in my HARTILL family yet but it is a VERY large family.

Thanks again
Paula

:)

Thank you Di.Poppit. I will look into these. Have been trying to find a marriage for Elizabeth/Lizzie MULLIS to Alex/Alexander LOFFMAN. But have had no luck there either. All I know is that they both 'married out of their faiths', so maybe it was a register office wedding.

Interestingly there is a WHEELER on the same page. One of my grt grandmothers was a WHEELER so there might be a link there also.

Thanks again
timetraveller

Hi my name is Jason Loffman and I am trying to research my family tree. My father is Geoffrey Loffman and his mother was Ivy Loffman and Frank Loffman, I cannot find any information on Frank Loffman, I have nothing really to go on as he was not talked about and I have only really found out I had a grandad called Frank. If anyone knows that a Frank Loffman married a Ivy Mercer in Birminhgam I think I would be grateful

Hi Jason
welcome to the group,hope we can help you .
Do you have any dates that might help,there are a number of people with the names you mention,so a date would narrow it down a little.
Good luck in your search

Colin

:angel: There is this one in the 1901 census (If you think this could be them, someone else may be able to give you the actul census image. Also the name could be a trancription erra). However as Colin said more dates would be of more help:

Name.‚.. Parent or Spouse.‚.. Birth Year.‚.. .‚.. BirthPlace.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Relation.‚.. .‚..Civil Parish.‚.. .‚..County
Frank Lappman.‚.. .‚..Alexander,.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚..Aston.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..
.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚...‚...‚.. Lizzie.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..abt 1894.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Birmingham;.‚.. .‚.. Son.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. Aston.‚.. .‚...‚.. .‚..Warwickshire.‚..

There are Loffmans in the Birmingham area in 1901censux but there is no Frank among them..

Hope this helps.

Hartill

I have just discovered the surname Hartill in my family tree.

Mary Ann Reeves (born 1836) married Thomas Hartill on the 7th March 1859 at St Phillips - Birmingham. They are shown on the 1881 census as living at 11 Proctor Street, Aston (where a lot of my family lived).

They had Elizabeth (1861) - James (1862) - Alice (1867) - Maria (1870) - Charles (1874) and Mary A (Ann I think) in 1877.

James is on the 1891 census - wife called Martha and a son called George aged 9 1/2.

Cheers
Gobby

Back