• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family Burials

Hello I am new to the forum and live nearly 200 miles away from Birmingham but come from a Birmingham family going back to the 1800's up to approx 1960 and helping my Uncle with his Birmingham Ancestors and would be grateful for any advice re Birmingham Cemeteries records any handy websites after possible recording of head stones etc or any any assistance.

Best Wishes Christopher Hawkes.

Hello Christopher.
There are records of burials and also memorial inscriptions on WWW.jqrt.org. These are for Warstone Lane and Key Hill Cemeteries.
WWW.bmsgh.org also have an index for Witton.
It's best to try and find where they died first. Enjoy your searching!
Best Wishes,
rosie.

If you know the cemetery then emailing them direct with approximate dates usually means they will search for a grave number but are unlikely to know about inscriptions. This site gives email addresses https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cemeteries Older church burials can be found on Ancestry or, if you have names and rough dates, someone on the forum may look for you but again no inscriptions.

If you get stuck, Christopher, just post a message and there are umpteen knowledgeable people who will do their best to help or at least point you in the right direction. A good many of us no longer live in the UK let alone Birmingham! Enjoy and don't forget that the search engine at the top of the page is also your friend.

Maurice

Greetings from Vancouver, Canada. I'm making this post because I have learned that two of my great-great grandparents are buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery:
Rebecca Cooke (died 1895) - Section P, Grave 1969, and
Henry Cooke (died 1896) - Section P, Grave 1951
About a week ago I sent an email to
[email protected]
gave them the names of two ancestors buried in Warstone Rd Cemetery, the dates of their deaths, and asked for any information they might have on one or both.
Yesterday I received a reply that said they do indeed have records of burials of both people (they were husband and wife), and they gave me the Section and Grave Number for each.
I am not able to get to Birmingham at this time or in the foreseeable future. So I'm submitting this post in the hope that someone, who has the time and interest, would be willing to visit the cemetery and take photos of the graves and grave-marker(s) or gravestone(s) if there are any. I have attached a copy of the map sent to me from the Handsworth Cemetery office, and a copy of the death notice for Rebecca Cooke.
If someone on the forum has a suggestion about my post, please offer it. Thanks in advance.
Douglas

Attachments

• WarstoneCemetery,Birmingham,UK - Map with Cooke Graves marked.jpg
    WarstoneCemetery,Birmingham,UK - Map with Cooke Graves marked.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1895-Death Notice - Rebecca Bennet Cooke.jpg
    1895-Death Notice - Rebecca Bennet Cooke.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 6
Hello Doogles, I have posted on your other thread, I forgot to say unfortunately there are no headstones for these graves.
rosie.

Again, thank you rosie. Thanks for making time to post your response to my query. It's a strange sort of comfort just to know, to have an answer to my question.

Back